Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maxtor OneTouch4 Can Not Be Accessed

• Please log in to reply

SailorEd

SailorEd

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Need your expert advise! Thanking you in advance.

I can not access my external USB 500GB Maxtor HDD. Drive worked fine last time I connected it about six months ago (several programs loaded since then). I have read many postings around the net on many sites and still can not resolve the issue.

Hardware:
Notebook--IBM Thinkpad G40 with 750mb ram and 2.3 ghz processor Intel CPU OS XP SP3 BIOS UPdated to latest
HDD--Maxtor OneTouch4 500 GB USB with seperate power supply about five yrs old. Used very little only a couple of times a year at most.
Model: PN 9NT2A6-500 Serial: 2HA1S3FB

Problem:

AFter connecting HDD using various procedures (power or USB ordering) computer will not recognize HDD. It shows up in remove
HDD tray and shows up under devise manager, disk drives. Can see it listed but "Properties" shows under "General tab" no driver installed and under "Drivers tab" a Microsoft driver is shown. When I first identified that the drive was not being accessed I tried without success to a driver which was shown. As I recall was the Microsoft driver that is still shown under the "Driver" tab.

Any attempt to use the wizard to install drivers locks up the machine. The machine also is locked up if trying to use
the add hardware under the control panel.

Looking at Storage-Disk Management does not show the HDD.

I have tried to run devcon with drive attached and it locks up; just sets and indicates it is running but without display.

I have many applications on this machine for accessing cell phones. Also have Seagate Manager installed.

Successfully accessing thumb drives and seagate 500GB external drive.

Note I have been unsucessfully changing various "Services" in attempt to find something that will work.

Now the funny thing!!!. I have a second IBM G40 running XP SP3. It SUCCESSFULLY accesses the Maxtor HDD.

Would be very grateful to receive your advise on how to get the drive access restored.

Best regards,

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
SailorEd

Sorry that you have not received a response.

Regretfully, a post is occasionally overlooked due to the vast number of posts requiring attention.

Do you still require help please

SailorEd

SailorEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

SailorEd

Sorry that you have not received a response.

Regretfully, a post is occasionally overlooked due to the vast number of posts requiring attention.

Do you still require help please

Yes, I would be grateful to receive your suggestions to allow access to the Maxtor drive from the notebook.
Regards,
Ed

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK I will be signing off after this as it is 0227 here in UK

Will be back about 1800

Please do not quote the whole of each of my posts.
Please only quote points you wish particularly to comment on

You may have tried all of these, so bear with me until I come back if you have

1. Clean boot it please with the drive DISCONNECTED and all other USB devices unless keyboard and mouse are usb also disconnected
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Go only as far as and including step 3 please, do not proceed, beyond there as you will delete all your restore points
On completing the clean boot as per the guide
CONNECT the drive ONLY please with the power OFF and then when connected power on for the drive. Please connect to usb on rear I/O plate not a front port

IF that does NOT work

2. Return to normal boot
Examine device manager are there any warnings please on any devices, including view tab and show hidden devices.
If so explore and correct as far as you can.

3. If nothing revealed on 2 and as the drive is seen on the other computer I recommend if you have not already sone so that you secure the data on the drive using the other computer.
The when you are sure you have all secure, I recommend you format the drive and reconnect to this computer and see if it is then found.

4. You may also wish to to try, device manager usb hubs , uninstall and reboot, the system will automatically find and reinstall the drivers for the hubs.
Do that with all usb disconnected.

Back as said.
Good night

SailorEd

SailorEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the advice. Followed your guideance without success. Hve decided to give up and will use on two other notebooks that are accessing drive without problems.
Best regards,
Ed

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for replying the choice is of course yours, but there were quite a few possible solutions still to try