Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Compact Flash card is inaccessible

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I was shooting video with my Canon 7D the other day and when I went to stop recording a shot, the camera locked up. I attempted to turn off the camera - but this delayed for about a minute while the camera was frozen.
I switched CF cards at that point.

Later, when I tried to dump the card to my computer, Windows 7 came up saying it wanted to scan & fix errors on the card. I said yes, then after completing the scan, the card was inaccessible.
Card connected by a USB card reader - the card reader shows up in My Computer as a drive with a letter, but can't access the drive or format it. Nothing shows up in Disk Management

Also cannot access or format the card via the camera (Canon 7D).

Card is an ADATA 16 GB 533x Compact Flash
Computer: ASUS Notebook G73JH with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Been using this card, card reader, computer, camera etc for months/years - first time I've had this problem.

Already tried several recovery programs such as: CardRecovery, Recuva, BadCopyPro, RescuePro, ZAR. No luck with any of them.
Definitely want to get the video files off the card to avoid re-shooting it.

Any suggestions?