Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 Laptop Slow

• Please log in to reply

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have a friend who has a laptop with Win 7 64 bit. They were complaining about it being really slow anymore. It was quick when they first bought it. So I thought virus. I ran Microsoft Windows Essentials, Maleware Bytes, and CCleaner. Only found 1 maleware file. Next I rebooted in safe mode to see if I could fins anything there. I let it do the auto correct. It came back and said that there was a problem but couldn't be fixed automatically. What do I do next?

Jason

Advertisements

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Anybody have some suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Speedracer 64.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :thumbsup:
:ph34r: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

Do you have access to the laptop to run some diagnostics and get a couple of logs we might need?

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Its either a Acer or Asus laptop. Can't remember right off hand. I tried to get a hold of them to ask them. It has 3 gbs of memory in it. I have run Microsoft Security Essentials, Maleware Bytes, and CCleaner. Then auto correct in safe mode. Came back that it couldn't be corrected automatically. I can get it to run diagnostic test on it also.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first with Ccleaner is your friend using the Registry cleaner of the program?

If I am understanding correctly you can get into windows right?
If so please do the following.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah I ran the ccleaner on the registry. There was quite a bit on there. I will check the other stuff in the next couple of days. I did have one other person tell me to check the ram. One stick might be out of the socket or bad.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The problem with Registry cleaners is as followed:

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Speedracer 64

Speedracer 64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
So is it still safe to use CCleaner as long as not on the registry?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes and I have nothing against the program but only so called miracle working programs that will fix everything.
Messing with the registry to me is like driving blind in a snow storm. You might do well for awhile but eventually it will not be a good ending. :blink:
The problem with registry cleaners in most cases is that they really can't determine what is a good entry and what is a bad entry. When they can't figure it out they will usually delete the entry. The wrong entry can at the least cause problems with the system. Worst case scenario the system will no longer boot up and major work would need to be done to bring it back to life if it is even possible.
I have seen cases where it is so far damaged that the only way to correct it is to format and do a fresh install of the OS. To most of us geeks not a problem but to the average user it is a devastating reality.
I just want to make sure your friend understands the worst case scenario of using these types of miracle working programs. :thumbsup:

ogdemolisher

ogdemolisher

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I have seen cases where it is so far damaged that the only way to correct it is to format and do a fresh install of the OS. To most of us geeks not a problem but to the average user it is a devastating reality.

I had to quote this that is so true !! Lol as a geek sometimes I would rather just do a clean install if I don't have important files on my pc.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
type msconfig in the search box...click on it above...startup tab...uncheck everything except your AV and synaptic or alps (its for the touchpad)...reboot and see if you get most of the speed back...
also what is

auto correct in safe mode