Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

missing files...please help!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. i am running Win XP on my Dell desktop. My fiance and I ran microsoft updates on it and it hasnt been the same since. We get registry errors on almost everything we try to do (rstrui.exe, sr.ini, i368, etc.)
System restore will not work in any mode (however it is shown in the cmd and my comp properties as monitoring). I have attempted safemode with com prompt (%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe), diskmgmt.msc, eventvwr.msc /s, net start, compmgmt.msc....those are just since it got bad and i started keeping a record. I know the computer needs to be reloaded desperately. No xp cd's, no working floppy/cd drives, the winnt32.exe file is missing... I'm at a point where I feel like I'm beating on a brick wall with a rubber tube and I can not afford to get it professionally repaired. If you could suggest how to install without the disks and/or how to recover my system restore or the winnt32.exe file or any other that might would help it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I truly had no idea where else to turn =(

Thank you sooo much

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
So System Restore (using Safe Mode) didn't work, right?

Ok, do the following:

Open cmd and type in the following (replace the drive letter if it's not C):

chkdsk /r c: > c:\chkdsk.txt

and press Enter.

When done, post the contents of chkdsk.txt located directly under the root drive.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so much for your rapid response! However, I'm afraid that the help offered will no longer apply. Shortly after posting the original message while searching the forum I recieved an error message that quickly flashes about an error with the rundll file then the screen greyed and another message appeared saying to restart the comp. instead of loading back into windows it gave me a choice windows xp (which goes to black screen stating that the sp.3 file needed to reinstall or repair is missing and to restart) or the xp reinstall mode where I can hit L to reinstall windows (won't start operation - sp.3 file error - tried after other options didn't work) or R to repair windows which lead to a dos command prompt screen but wasn't sure even where to begin but none of the commands listed when I types help worked... Any ideas? LOL thank you so much

• 34,114 posts
Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.