Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive stopped working

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
hp Pavilion laptop dv9700 64 bit
4gb ram
Windows Vista Home Premium

Hello, I would appreciate advice on the above computer. The disc drive stopped working; it won't read or write cd/dvd as in the past. The drive does not show up in "My Computer" but is listed in Device Manager-Disc Drives, as WDC WD2500BEVS-60USTO ATA DEVICE. I have checked for driver updates and it says I have the latest driver.

When I try to burn a dvd, a popup says "No burner is currently available or you don't have rights to access the burner". Is there some way to determine if its a problem other than the drive itself, before I buy a new drive?

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.
5. Go to Microsoft's site http://support.micro..._drive_problems and follow the steps.
6. Try the guide at this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Thank's to Broni for the instructions

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Is WDC WD2500BEVS-60USTO ATA DEVICE possibly your HDD (WD as in Western Digital) http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=723

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
You're probably right. That means the cd drive isn't recognized at all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you try the instructions in my last post?

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I am in the process of trying the instructions. I discovered that I needed to install SP 2 and will post asap. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Oh you are really behind then on the SP's.
You actually should install 2 and then install 3 so you will be completely up to date.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I will. This is my wife's computer and I seldom use it. The regular updates are up to date but not the SP's.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The Sp's are security updates and if nothing else you should make sure they are current. Don't worry you have done a excellent job so far following instructions I have posted. Keep up the great work.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I have worked through the steps and the CD/DVD drive is not recognized. Since the drive is not shown in device manager, I couldn't do step 1.

Step 2 (FIXIT)did not work, although as fixit was running, I could hear sound coming from the drive bay (similar to sound when a disc is inserted).

Step 3 Missing CD drive patch; there was no option to merge.

Step 4 Uninstalled and installed ATA Channel 0 and Channel 1. Before I uninstalled, both were IDE instead of ATA.

Step 5 and 6 Nothing.

Also, In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Note: No Upperfilter or Lowerfilter in the right pane to click.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It looks like you may have a failed drive then. You can try to install it into a another system to check it but I think you are going to find it will not be seen or working there either.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Ok, I'll check into replacing the drive a little later. Thank all very much for the assistance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have another system you can utilize to test the drive in would verify the drive has failed.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I don't have another 64 bit machine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
it doesn't have to be a 64 bit OS. Any system running XP, Vista or Win7 should work. You can hook it up as a second optical drive if that would make it easier and not mess with the existing setup. This is only to see if the drive is recognized in another system or if it still fails.