Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive stopped working

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Can I do this second optical drive with another laptop?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That will be a challenge as you will need a external enclosure that connects via a USB port on the laptop.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Ok, I will search for a manual to open the computer with and see how it goes, Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Unplug the power cord and all external devices. Close the LCD panel, and place the laptop face down on a flat surface. Rotate the computer so the front is facing you.

Remove the single Phillips screw securing the CD/DVD drive to its compartment in the upper-left corner of the laptop. Insert a paper clip into the release hole on the drive's face. Pull the drive out of the laptop, and set it aside.
Reverse to install the new cdrom drive.
Read more: How to Dissasemble an HP DV9700 | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz1uTaJUu3U

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Wonderful!! Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did it work for you?

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I took the drive out thinking maybe there would be some wire terminals to clean but the only connection is a plug deep in the computer. I reassembled and nothing happened.

I then tried a remedy that worked on my desktop a few years back to discharge static electricity. I disconnected all power and held down the power button awhile and then rebooted. The CD drive showed up in My Computer and device manager.

I started burning a file to DVD and about half way through the burn, it went away again and a popup stated there was not a disc drive connected to the computer. I have not been able to make connection again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep sounds like a faulty drive at this point.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Probably so. I plan to get another drive sometme in the near future and see what that renders. Thanks

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
FOLLOW-UP: I have tried the dv9700 disc drive in a dell laptop and it is recognized and plays a CD. The disc drive from the dell is not recognized nor will play in the dv9700.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that would mean the controller for the dv9700 may be faulty. It could also indicate dirty connectors so try blowing the space where the dvd drive slides into the dv9700 laptop out. I'm not holding my breath that it will work but it's worth a try.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I'll try that. Also, is the "controller" the same as an "Optical DVD Drive Connector Board"? If blowing don't work, I have located a connector board but will have to look at a manual and decide if I think I can change it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
YES IT SHOULD BE THE SAME. WHEN YOU SLIP THE OPTICAL DRIVE IN THE SLOT OF THE NOTEBOOK IT CONNECTS AT THE END TO A SET OF PINS WHICH i WOULD SAY WOULD BE ATTACHED TO A BOARD. iT IS POSSIBLE ONE OF THOSE PINS MAY HAVE BEEN BENT..
Soryy for the caps I hit my cap key by mistake. :rolleyes: