Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

One set of speakers over network

• Please log in to reply

DaVULf

DaVULf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to play sound over a network like you would use a printer over a network. I currently have 2 computers connected through a D-Link router, but I only have one set of speakers. I was wondering how I can play sound from both computers using the same speakers.

Is this possible to do through the network? The speakers are connected to the main computer, and the other one is under the desk, is there a way that I can play sounds on the other computer and have it come out on those speakers.

Thank you.

Advertisements

DaVULf

DaVULf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No ideas?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm not even sure what you are asking.

If you are sitting at the computer with speakers, you can play any sound file on either machine as long as the folder the sound is in is shared.

If you are asking me if you can play sounds on a computer without speakers just because the other machine has them, no.

If you have a computer with all the sounds, but no speakers, why not move the speakers?

You could, I suppose, run a remote desktop connection to the computer with speakers and play sounds from the computer with sounds...but....my head hurts.....buy some speakers.

DaVULf

DaVULf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's not that I don't have other speakers.. I have a few sets.

Let me better explain my setup. I'm home from University, and so I set my computer up in my dad's office. However, I don't want my dad to have access to any of my things, so I hooked his computer up also (under the desk) through a router. Now he can use his computer without bothering my things. Now, since Im here more than he is, I plugged his speakers into my computer, and there is no room for another pair.

The other day he was trying ot listen to a speech, yet wasn't able to because there was no sound. He asked me if I could find out if it was possible to have shared speakers in the way that we have a shared printer and shared monitors.

Do you see what I mean?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, but the only way that works that I can think of requires him to run a remote desktop on your machine, then share files on his machine, then run the sound through your machine while working on his.

It is cumbersome and more worth than it is worth.

The other solution is something like this:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817107224

DaVULf

DaVULf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I see. Thank you for your help.

I'm slightly dissapointed that this would not be more popular. I would think that this would be a common issue for people working with one workstation and two computers to reduce clutter.

bazcor

bazcor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Another approach would be to put the two computer audio outputs through a mixer to the speakers, that would definitely work!

DaVULf

DaVULf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Bazcor. I was just looking to see if there was some software I could download to do it. It isn't worth spending money over.