Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing built in standoffs.

• Please log in to reply

Ape-x

Ape-x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok so I have a AsRock z77 extreme 4 motherboard which is standard ATX and an Antec P183 v3 case which supports standard ATX.

When I came to installing the motherboard I found there were pre-installed standoffs. They sit flush against the back of the case in a hexagon shape.

Posted Image

But on the other side they are round shaped (not hexagonal like the brass ones you install yourself).

Posted Image

I need to remove two of the standoffs so they won't be touching the motherboard. I have tried pushing them out, and using grips to twist them out but they seem to be riveted into the case itself.

Here are some pics to show you.

How can I remove these! :wacko:

Advertisements

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Can the standoffs be touching the board if it isn't touching the soldered bits?

Worst case scenario, I will saw them off....

Edited by Ape-x, 09 May 2012 - 11:16 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can drill them out because you may need the holes for the new mb. Use a smaller drill bit then the hole so you don't enlarge the holes themselves. If they are actually rivets by just drilling out the cap part of the rivet should allow the assembly to then easily slide out.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ah god [bleep], why couldn't they just give me manual stand off screws :(

So just drill them out then...Ok.

And yea they are riveted in, to quote the product maker:

"These standoffs install with a squeeze in punched or drilled round holes and become permanently mounted in thin sheet metal."

Edited by Ape-x, 09 May 2012 - 11:39 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well that is just a stupid design as motherboards standoff points are not all universal. Have you tried to see if they line up or not?

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yea they all line up fine apart from two of the standoffs in the picture I uploaded. The dimensions of the other ones fit perfect on my paper template.

Edited by Ape-x, 09 May 2012 - 12:00 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well that makes things a little easier. If you cut off those two do you have standoffs every place there is a hole on the motherboard then?

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yea.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then the two that do not line up can be taken off and if you have like a dremel tool with a cutting blade it will be much easier to cut them off. :thumbsup:

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Trying to drill them off atm, might have to revert to a hacksaw soon...

Edited by Ape-x, 09 May 2012 - 12:22 PM.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Just managed to drill them off using a large bit drill. Now to just clear away the iron filings...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a stupid setup in my opinion. Hopefully you will be able to make it work in the end.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
They must have changed the design since last year. I agree, it is a stupid design.

If not to late with the suggestion, use a hair dryer, on cold, or compressed air to clean out the inside of the case.