Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Presario f700 will not boot

• Please log in to reply

TheresaMontiell

TheresaMontiell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have 2 Presario f700's (my kid's) and have taken one apart and have tried the following fixes. I tried to turn on the laptop and the power button flashes blue for a second and then nothing. Yes the battery is charged. I also have it connected to external power. Nothing comes up on the display. The screen stays black. I know it is not the screen because the first thing I did was try to connect it to an external monitor. Nothing is happening. I read on many forums that if you unplug the power and remove the battery and hold down the power button for 30 to 60 seconds then reconnect the power supply and try to turn it on it will work. I tried this method with no luck.

I have read that the Video chip caused it. Took laptop apart,took soldering iron and applied heat to the chip. Went back and forth several times until whole chip was hot. Apply new paste to cpu and graphics chip, instead of the foam thermal pad on video chip I put thermal paste on both sides of a penny and used it as a heatsink.Put it back together and still have the same issue.
I am wondering if I may not have heated it enough.

Any other ideas??????

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: TheresaMontiell

I will break your post down so it is more manageable;

I tried to turn on the laptop and the power button flashes blue for a second and then nothing.

Can you at any time hear the CPU fan working.
Have you tried removing the battery and using only the AC adapter to power the system.
The system specs list it as having two sticks of Ram, if so please remove both sticks of Ram, blow out the slots and then insert only one stick of Ram in slot one and see if the system will boot, if no joy then try the same stick of Ram in slot two and again see if the system will boot up, repeat the procedure with the second stick of Ram.
Let us know the results of the testing.

I know it is not the screen because the first thing I did was try to connect it to an external monitor

Did you press the Fn and external display keys down together to toggle between screens.

I have read that the Video chip caused it. Took laptop apart,took soldering iron and applied heat to the chip. Went back and forth several times until whole chip was hot.

I am not sure what this is intended to achieve.

I put thermal paste on both sides of a penny and used it as a heatsink.Put it back together and still have the same issue.

Sorry but this is asking for trouble, there should be nothing inside your system that does not belong there and especially a loose electrical conducting coin, if the system was to power up the thermal paste would soften and this could lead to the coin ending up on the MB and shorting the whole system out.