Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What type of modem?

• Please log in to reply

John Blue Raven Games

John Blue Raven Games

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello all, at the moment i use sbc global. I have a modem in one room already, which i have no idea what it is BUT i do know its not a cable modem. Anyway i found a Ethernet cord in my man cave and im putting my desktop in there which need a wired connection. So what type of modem do i put in my "man cave" Thank you!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Howdy,

What are you trying to achieve - just adding the one computer by ethernet cable? If so you can just plug it straight into the computer from the modem you already have.

If you are looking to add more than one computer then you can use an unmanaged switch to give you more ports.

Cheers

John Blue Raven Games

John Blue Raven Games

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Howdy,

What are you trying to achieve - just adding the one computer by ethernet cable? If so you can just plug it straight into the computer from the modem you already have.

If you are looking to add more than one computer then you can use an unmanaged switch to give you more ports.

Cheers

this ethernet cord is across the house where my man cave is located i want to plug my desktop in it but i want wifi for my ps3 as well so i need a modem i cant use the one i have already because i need it there for other reasons also i dont have a phone cable in this room

John Blue Raven Games

John Blue Raven Games

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
also when i plugged it in my ps3 it doesnt give me a connection

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The PS3 should have received a connection fine. Can you confirm it is connected to the modem on the other end? If you plug your computer in to it does it work?

If you want wireless though, you will need to add a wireless router.