Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Water Cooling Tips and Suggestions for a Beginner

• Please log in to reply

MiniGeekMonster

MiniGeekMonster

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi There,

I've been playing a lot of games and HD editing on my computer recently, and to say the least, my computer is getting really hot. So I've been looking at water cooling solution for an entirely new computer, and I wondered if this would do the job...BTW, are there any tips and tricks that I should know about before building it (the cooling)? And is the following list good, should I remove or add stuff? And I'm planning to put the stuff in the Thermaltake Chase MK-1 case.

 EK-Supreme HF-EN Nickel CPU
 EK-FC680 GTX - EN Nickel GPU
 Danger Den DD12V-D5 PUMP
 Danger Den Black Ice SR1 280 RADIATOR
 Danger Den Monsoon Single Bay Premium RESERVOIR
 NZXT FZ-140mm Blue LED Airflow Fan (for Radiator)
 EK-PSC Fitting 13mm - G1/4 Black Nickel FITTINGS
 Danger Den 3/8” ID Tygon 3603 TUBING
 EK-Ekoolant UV BLUE COOLING LIQUID
 Danger Den Arctic Silver 5 THERMAL PASTE

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome:
This is not really the place to ask about water cooling as the average user does not need anything other than fan cooling, on the other hand overclockers do, see the forum area @ http://www.overclock.../water-cooling.

I would be more concerned as to why the present system is getting so hot, possible causes include a poor cooling system, broken or clogged fan/s and/or vents, untidy internal cable management restricting the airflow and very often a malfunctioning PSU putting out too much output, all of these will reduce the life expectancy of components.

Post your system specs for us so we can do some research, meanwhile run Speedfan and post us a couple of screenshots (before and after gaming or watching a video) so we can check your temps and voltages

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

How to post a screenshot
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

MiniGeekMonster

MiniGeekMonster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
well everything was okay apart from one, which was Temp1, it measured about 127C!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Post a screenshot so we can take a look for you.
The reading may be an anomaly so use HWMonitor to get a comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html again post a screenshot for us.

MiniGeekMonster

MiniGeekMonster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK

So this is in pretty much "idle" mode, the only program running was Google Chrome with 2 tabs open (and of course SpeedFan 4.46! :lol: )... take a look and tell me what you think.
I'll add one of me playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 later.

Thanks,

MiniGeekMonster

PS> I will be upgrading my computer soon!

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg

Edited by MiniGeekMonster, 23 May 2012 - 01:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi
Have you attempted to overclock your CPU?
The reason that I ask is the VCore 2 voltage reading is very high at 3.04V when it should be 1.400V max, see http://solidlystated...e-temperatures/
Run HWMonitor and again post a screenshot for us so we have a comparison.

The PSU voltages and all other temps are good BTW.

MiniGeekMonster

MiniGeekMonster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,
I never tried to overclock, although I agree it is pretty high (x2 !). I have thought about it, but never did try it. Do you think this is a processor malfunction of some sort?

My processor is the i7-870 (about 2.93 GHz with a turbo boost to 3.6 GHz). Plus what I find curious is the fact that no automatic shutdowns (caused by problems like heat) happened since I got this computer.

Thanks for all your help!

>DATA ON THE I7-870
http://ark.intel.com...-Cache-2_93-GHz)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The reading may be anomalous and was the reason why I asked you to run HWMonitor and post a screenshot for us so we can compare it to Speedfan http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html do this for us now please.

MiniGeekMonster

MiniGeekMonster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here it is.

Attached Thumbnails

• hardwaremonitor.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The VCore is showing ok in HWMonitor so it would appear it was an error.
Couple of suggestions for you 1: Go into the BIOS and restore the systems default settings. 2: Manually increase the speed of the GPU fan using Speedfan, a guide to using it http://forum-en.msi....?topic=109858.0 3: Keep a regular check on your temps and voltages in the BIOS and using Speedfan.