Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Having grown tired of AVG Internet Security (that has gone gradually downhill, and my multi PC licence running out) I took the bold step and Installed Microsoft Security Essentials on all my PCs instead. I have Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 operating systems.

All seemed well until yesterday, when my Windows 7 laptop began having a problem with MSE.

The task bar icon went from Green to Amber.

When I opened the User Interface I was greeted with an amber warning on the "home" tab, telling me I hadn't run a scan recently.
Lower down on the SAME "Home" tab it said: Last Scan: Today at 10:53 (Quick scan)"
[see attached picture 1 - taken at 09:43 on Wed 9 May 2012] BEFORE the scan was even run!

I ran a quick scan anyway (at 0945) and the User Interface and task bar icon returned to the normal Green. [see attached picture 2]

Later, at 11:36 I noticed it had turned Amber AGAIN and was giving me the same message as before, that I hadn't run a scan recently, and lower down the Last Scan was timed Today at 21:43 (Quick scan). So it was showing the wrong time of the last scan AND wrongly stating I hadn't run a scan recently! [see attached picture 3]

Any suggestions HOW to fix this problem guys?

N.B. I included the Desktop calender and clock to illustrate the correct time, compared to the displayed times in the pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• MSE1.JPG
  • MSE2.JPG
  • MSE3.JPG

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 10 May 2012 - 09:20 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you ran the scan manually did you run a quick or full scan?
Also in your schedule is it set for quick or full?

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

When you ran the scan manually did you run a quick or full scan?
Also in your schedule is it set for quick or full?

Hi,
I ran a quick scan manually.
I've set a scheduled (quick) scan Daily at 21:00, and I run a Full scan manually at random.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The error is very likely caused by the symptoms explained on your other topic where I have just commenced my reply.

Reproduced here

Wrinkly Pete

It appears you are having problems with MSE

About this time I noticed another problem. By now Microsoft Security Essentials regarded my PC as invalidated and using invalidated software, so it stopped working!

Your other topic

http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

although concerned with activation of windows may well be attributable to the same error

Fragments of previously installed AV ;programs, CCleaner, Advanced System Care and other such programs can cause these problems.

The fragments of the previously installed Anti Virus, may conflict with MSE and the usually provided uninstall/clean utility from the AV provider should be used.

In the case of AVG the AVG removal tool should be used.
http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities

Other AV providers tools can be found from their respective websites

Insofar as relates to the actual errors both here and particularly on the other topic, the use of the CCleaner, Advanced system care and the like delete the MSE history file and is a well known cause of these errors.

Please note - when you reply, there is no benefit in quoting the whole of a post. Please quote only what you wish to stress.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Ok Macboatmaster...

Just to clarify things I am NOT having this problem with MSE on my XP PC. This problem is on a Windows 7 laptop.

I DID have a temporary problem with MSE following the XP Reactivation issue.
I have two separate postings as the problems are on two separate PCs. (I have 4 in total, 2 are XP, Vista and Windows 7)

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 10 May 2012 - 10:45 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Firstly check this link for the details

http://answers.micro...86-fa08d80725a4

The problem and I appreciate it was on different computers with one system being XP and the other 7, can apply to both systems and the activation problem can be caused by the corruption of the history file as the windows are validated when MSE is installed and the deletion of the history file deletes the validation record as well as the scan record.

This link confirms the issue

http://answers.micro...ee-26a6cd10c3ab

Judging by the wording of your first post, on the other topic, although I consider MSE excellent and use it on three of my four computers , the fourth is Ubuntu only, I am rather surprised that you chose an AV program from Microsoft, when the choice of free av programs (reliable) is so wide. Although I share your views on AVG. It now includes an unwelcome IMHO system optimizer and is of course not the original Grisoft that it was.
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Right I'm with you Macboatmaster.

I had forgotten that MSE would be covered by CCleaner. I hadn't checked until you mentioned it, and sure enough CCleaner has included it in the applications list so it is being removed when I run CCleaner.
See picture:

So I'll uncheck all items relating to MSE in CCleaner and all should be well?

Thanks for your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I've amended the list on CCleaner to what's shown in the picture below. Hopefully all should be well now.

Much obliged. :thumbsup:

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture2.JPG

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I suppose so yes, I am not the person to advise, as I do not like CCleaner. and especially on Windows 7, I would not let it any where near.

The answer or at least the recommended answer is on the link I sent and on the piriform site forum

http://forum.pirifor...=1

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Got you.

I've never had any problems caused by CCleaner myself (so far), but I am VERY careful what I use it for.
IF I use it to clean up any registry errors I ALWAYS back up BEFORE I do anything.

I do understand what you mean though.

I've only myself to blame over this last issue, as I completely forgot CCleaner sometimes adds applications to its clean up list, which is what's happened here. I'm getting on a bit, so I'll put it down to a "senior moment"! ;)

For the meantime I'll just watch and see what happens. If I get the same problem again I'll remove CCleaner from this PC.

Thank you SO much for your help. I'd be lost without you guys.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is MSE now working again?

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
rshaffer61,

I'm hoping so.
I'll wait 24 hours before I can be sure, but this issue (on my Windows 7 laptop) was probably due to CCleaner removing some files without me realising. I've unchecked the offending files from CCleaners' list of applications, so it shouldn't now delete files needed by M.S.E. - fingers crossed!

Thanks for the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would be great if the resolution is this easy. :thumbsup:

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Yes, I'm hoping so.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You may also wish to check by clicking on Help - but the drop arow to the right that you have the current version of the MSE and the definitions installed.

I have read, although I cannot find it now of the last update not being show after various optimizers etc