Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

speed vs usage

• Please log in to reply

ToneNZ

ToneNZ

• Pip
  • 3 posts
we have wireless broadband because in our rural area its either that or very expensive satellite as our land line phone will not support broadband. We have tried continuously to get help from internet provider and have got nowhere. At night our broadband is very very slow example: I tried to downloaded Firefox on my computer the other night and it told me that it was going to take nearly 3 hours so I cancelled it. I got up early the next morning about 5am and tried again it took 1 min 56 seconds. To load a page at night it can take a few minutes or it times out an just brings up an error message, it is very frustrating so now I just don't bother to go online in the evening.

Right that's a bit of the background now my question is: if you are continually using a slow connection does it affect your monthly data usage. Before we moved here we never used our data allowance and were online a lot more, now we are hardly ever online and we use the full allowance well before the month rolls over. We are thinking of paying the extra and getting satellite but there monthly allowance is the same as we have now but if you go over that you have to pay more for every bit of data. our plan now they just put us down to dial up speed if we go over data allowance which funnily enough seems to make our connection faster in the evenings.

Edited by ToneNZ, 10 May 2012 - 01:17 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That seems backwards to me? The slower the connection, the less data you move so you should be seeing lower, not higher numbers.

But if you take advantage of the faster link time periods to download a lot of stuff then I could see this happening.

How are you getting WIFI, is it through your cell phone provider?

ToneNZ

ToneNZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No its through a wireless internet provider and the antenna box is used to pick up from a tower about a mile away. I told them I designed websites when I was deciding to go with wireless or satellite they told me that the wireless would be as good as what I had been using. As we signed up to a 12 month contract on that assurance I have had to close that business and now travel into the city every day to work. I still maintain sites that I have designed and find it increasingly frustrating, I can work on them during the evening but I have to get up at 5am to upload them. Is it normal for 2 users just browsing bit of facebook and looking at motorcycle sites not downloading/uploading anything to use 600MB? and I might add this is on a connection that can take minutes to load a simple webpage if you can get it to load at all

Edited by ToneNZ, 12 May 2012 - 12:46 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
600MB is not much. Depends on the content of the web sites you browse. If there are lots of pictures/images then it would be very easy to use up 600MB in a short period of time.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It sounds like your wireless is using the phone towers for the connection. At night time you'll usually find more people are making phone calls and surfing the net with their wireless connections. Thus the tower gets used up and limits the connection to everybody to allow everyone to still connect.

In the morning as you have found it is much faster.

Also if your 600MB is per month that is pitifully small.

ToneNZ

ToneNZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
600MB is a 24 hour period but we both work so few hours at night and that's an average it has been 1200

Edited by ToneNZ, 18 May 2012 - 12:41 AM.