Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition crashed and cant system restore

• Please log in to reply

The(notso)WiseGuy

The(notso)WiseGuy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
The other day i was trying to create a new partition on my hard drive and mid-way through creating the partition my computer froze and shut itself down and will no longer boot. When it loads, it gets to the Starting Windows page with the wingows logo waving and stays there. Things ive tried:

-Startup repair
-Restore to previous restore point (Which it says there are none of)

I also tried to restore it to factory defaults but so far the only way i have found to do that is with the diska and I lost the recovery disks that i made when i first got it. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas. Its an Acer Aspire 5749-6863.

Thanks!

Edited by The(notso)WiseGuy, 10 May 2012 - 04:25 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

1. What were you using to create the partition - Disk Management via Control panel or a program such as Easeus

2. How did you access Start up repair - F8
as I presume you do not have the disc. it came I think with Windows 7 installed.

3. What did start up repair say.
It only fixes ONE thing each time you run it, so run it until it says it cannot fix it - normally three times.

4. Access Command prompt
it will open at an X prompt
on the X prompt type C:
you should now be at a C Prompt
type chkdsk /r

See where you go from there.

To get your data off make this CD following the instructions and boot from it.
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

To proceed as a last resort if it has a hard drive recovery partiton and you have not damaged that as well with the attempt to create a partition - see this
http://acer.custhelp...etail/a_id/2631

That is of course your last and most desperate method.

If the chkdsk does not work post back there are other things to try.

GET YOUR data off first

The(notso)WiseGuy

The(notso)WiseGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I used Disk Management.
When i boot my computer, it comes to the Run Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally thing, although i have gone through the F8 thing a couple times just for the sake of time.
THe first time it said that the fixes were made and the second time it said it cannot fix it (I'll go ahead and run it again)
I have beena ble to find out that the C: drive is no longer there using command prompt and the things i know about it. I also tried accesing the D: drive (recovery drive for me) and it said that the drive is not ready for use.
I dont need my data though. Im not worried about getting anything off of it as anything that i do need i can get back through my email and other things. Im jsut at the point where i just want to restore the factory defaults just tog et it up and running again.

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi The(notso)WiseGuy...

Acer will send you a recovery disk set for a small fee. Acer Recovery Media Purchase Program

wannabe1

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well try the procedure in my Acer link, which also covers the ordering as raised by my colleague wannabe1

Although even if there was a recovery partition I do not really hold out a lot of hope
  • Restart the computer.
  • When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the Alt and F10 keys repeatedly.
  • If you are prompted with a Microsoft Windows boot screen, press the Enter key.
  • After the system recovery application has loaded, follow the prompts to reinstall the Operating System.

The(notso)WiseGuy

The(notso)WiseGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've got a friend that also has an Acer and it isnt too much older than mine and I'm going got try to use the recovery disks from their computer.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
In case, the above procedure(s) fail, here's the next question.

Oops, question already asked. Hold on.

Edited by Amlak, 10 May 2012 - 06:35 PM.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
It might be that the main OS partition's boot flag was set off. If that's the case, try the following to see if it fixes the problem:

Preferably from a clean computer, I need you to download: gparted-live-0.10.0-3.iso

Create a bootable CD for Gparted from the ISO image. You can use ImgBurn do this.

Now boot off of the newly created Gparted CD.

Posted Image
You should be here...
Press ENTER

Posted Image
By default, "do not touch keymap" is highlighted. Leave this setting alone and just press ENTER.

Posted Image
Choose your language and press ENTER. English is default [33]

Posted Image
Once again, at this prompt, press ENTER

You will now be taken to the main GUI screen below

Posted Image
Is "boot" next to your OS drive?

If "boot" is not next to your OS drive under "Flags", right-mouse click the OS drive while in Gparted and select Manage Flags

In the menu that pops up, place a checkmark in boot like the picture below:
Posted Image

Now double-click the Posted Image button.

You should receive a small pop up like this:
Posted Image
Choose reboot and then press OK.

If the above doesn't work, there's one more method I have in mind.

Edited by Amlak, 10 May 2012 - 06:48 PM.

The(notso)WiseGuy

The(notso)WiseGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I got it to start running all that stuff and midway through it ran out of memory. It said "Kernel Panic- not syncing: OUT OF memory and no killable proccesses..." Any advice?

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Try it again. If it still yields that error, try the CD on another computer. And let me know the outcome.

The(notso)WiseGuy

The(notso)WiseGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It came up with the same thing but worked on my other computer so I guess my laptop just doesn't have enough memory... I'm using my friends restore disc and if that doesn't work I'll post back

Thanks!

The(notso)WiseGuy

The(notso)WiseGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Also, does anyone know how to let the computer access all the RAM because right now it's only using the 128 mb made for the motherboard

Edited by The(notso)WiseGuy, 10 May 2012 - 09:11 PM.

The(notso)WiseGuy

The(notso)WiseGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
If i download a WIndows 7 ISO and burn it to a CD then boot from the CD would it still work? I researched it a little and it said that as long as a i have a product key (the one that came with my laptop) i can use it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The(notso)WiseGuy

It is now some 20 days since your last post and we wondered if you have managed to make progress