Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows must be activated

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ok. Just went into C:\Windows\Syustem32\Drivers\Rtnicxp.sys Properties and it shows:

Created: Friday, June 01. 2007 (time)

Can't I just copy and paste the file from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should if that is where the corrupted or faulty driver is located.

Metatron

Metatron

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Gentlemen,

This is what I found out about the system from the Belarc Report. Can I rely on the information? I found info on powerspec8980 but not powerspec8980a. The link displays Biostar P4TSV System Board yet the report below displays Springdale-G.

I can explain this for you. :)

The reason the Belarc Report displays Springdale-G is because Springdale-G is part of the Award BIOS ID for the Biostar P4TSV System Board. (see this table)

So you don't need to worry about the Springdale-G bit unless you want to use that information to find a compatible BIOS update. To get up and running, all you need to do is install the drivers for the Biostar P4TSV System Board.

It looks like you already have the drivers in a folder in the computer. I would be pretty confident that they are the correct drivers. But if for some strange reason they are not correct, you can get the drivers from here or here. I would install the MB (chipset) drivers first, then install the other ones. Then, when the LAN driver is installed, you could use DriverMax to see of there are any updated drivers available.

Good luck with the reinstall. :thumbsup:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yes! The machine is connecting just fine. I'll see what DriverMax tells me. Can't update from within Device Manager Properties, the update button is greyed out. There are no errors to found in the DM either.

Now to get the daughter off Facebook so I can work on that machine! :rolleyes:

I'll get back to this as soon as possible. Thanks guys for the help! :happy:

Edited by DonnaB, 20 May 2012 - 09:54 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Thank you Metatron for the information and links! Very informative.

Metatron

Metatron

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You're most welcome, DonnaB. :thumbsup:

That was my first ever post (outside of the introductions section), so I am very pleased that I actually managed to post something useful. :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
:happy: Oh yes! Very useful! As a matter of fact I was going to research to find out where Springdale-G fit in though thought it best to focus on the issues at hand. You provided the research for me! Thank you!

By the way, welcome to Geeks to go! You're sure to be an excellent addition to the plethora of experts here that make this site one of the best on the www! (Actually I prefer to say the best, but then Admin might think I was asking for brownie points!) :lol:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Installed DriverMax and found at least 10 drivers that needed updated.

I updated the following 2 drivers:

Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Intel Corporation 865 Embedded Graphics Controller

I then went ahead and copied the whole C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder to USB as a safety net.

As soon as I get the system up and running with the clean install and the other drivers updated, I'll post back with the results (or if I have any issues I need help with).

Thanks everybody for your guidance and support.

Donna :)

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

I made that folder probably years ago. I use to own the machine before giving to my friend DonnaB. Forgot how I did it, but it was a driver tool most likely like the one you mentioned rshaffer61. That machine was one of the most responsive machines I've ever used! I made it cause I never got a back up disk with the machine, the recovery disks were lost too.

Joe

Ah, so that used to be your laptop. Nice plot twist or something. :P

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
DriverMax has a nice little part that after you get all your drivers up to date it will save them for you in one folder where ever you choose. :whistling:
Hmm maybe save them and then burn them to a cd or something and you will always have them that way. Remember the first rule of backing up. If it is important to backup then make multiple copies of it. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
For information only

Springdale comes from the name Intel gave to the chipset.
http://en.wikipedia....Intel_codenames