Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No connections are available - internet connecting problem

• Please log in to reply

Pookani

Pookani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
None of those things in the link you provided are similar to my situation. But I don't think there's anything wrong with my router because I am using my wifi on another laptop with no problems whatsoever.

Router model number is: F5D7230-4

Edited by Pookani, 12 May 2012 - 04:51 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go control Panel Admin tools, services.
Scroll down to WLAN auto config

Double click to open
Is the start type set automatic.
If not use the drop down arrow and do so, then start the service
Does it now show started, insofar as the stop is now available

If it is already set automatic - is it started, if the start button is availabler - start it.

If so apply and ok.

Back to the network - how is it now

Pookani

Pookani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
It was already set to started, and as automatic. Network connection is still the same since I started this thread.

Edited by Pookani, 12 May 2012 - 05:24 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re your post 16, I think with respect you should read all of the link I sent

The wireless adaptor is apparently working as the bars are green on one of your screenshots.

If the wireless cannot find the signal from the router, it cannot NOW we know be because the WLAN service was stopped.

It must therefore be on the face of it, be a problem that the router is not boradcasting an identifier and this is covered in the LINK I SENT

The other computer will connect because it is already configured to do so

The answer therefore appears that it MAY be in the link

The network you're looking for is set to not broadcast its network name.

Wireless routers and access points can be set up so that they don't broadcast the network name. In this case, you can't detect that the network is in range (in order to connect to it) unless you've previously connected to the network or you manually connect to the network using the service set identifier (SSID). To connect to a network that's not broadcasting its network name, follow these steps:

so you therefore continue from that paragraph in the link - set up new connection.

Pookani

Pookani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Sorry I assumed it was broadcasting the name because my other laptop could pick it up.

Anyways, I did what you said but it doesn't really make a difference there's no connections available.

Edited by Pookani, 12 May 2012 - 05:49 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
How far away from the belkin is the laptop

Can you connect to the modem hard wired from the laptop

If these fail or cannot be tried
I suggest at this stage you take the laptop to a freinds house, next door or whereever convenient and see if the wireless adaptor sees their signal

I am signing off now it is 0123, but it does appear at this stage that as you have gone through setup new connection and typed in the SSID and the other details relevant to the connection, and it still cannot find it, that there is a problem with the wireless card in the laptop

Has the laptop received a jolt, or similar, I am beginnning to wonder if the fault is the actual receive signal on the network adaptor antennae

Have a look at this one whilst I am offline
http://www.sevenforu...twork-conn.html

another possibility is to see if you can borrow a usb network adaptor and try that

Pookani

Pookani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Internet works when I connect modem directly to the laptop.

And I just asked the only other person who uses the laptop, and they did they that they dropped it on the ground slightly so that may have caused the network adaptor to stop working? If that is the case, is it best to just go buy a replacement adaptor?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

And I just asked the only other person who uses the laptop, and they did they that they dropped it on the ground slightly

Well it might have been useful if they had told you, so that you could have told us.

Without much doubt, a dislodged card or a dislodged antennae connection.

The antennae fastens to the card usually with an sma connector.
It is best described as a miniature coax connector

The best option is to examine the user manual if you have it, or get it from the manufacturers site, and check that the card is secure.
Frequently but not always accesible from a panel on the base of the laptop

Alternatively try a usb wireless adaptor.

Pookani

Pookani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay so I checked for the manual and I downloaded it but it wasn't really much help because it didn't talk about the card at all.

Anyways, I found out how to locate the card online but when you say to check that it's secure, what do I do exactly? I pushed down on the coax connectors that you talked about to make sure that they weren't loose, and they aren't.

Here's a couple pictures.

http://i50.tinypic.com/34dque1.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/xm0nde.jpg

Thank you for all your help Macboatmaster.

Edited by Pookani, 13 May 2012 - 02:17 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well apart from the check that you have made, on the antennae leads one will be a 2.4Ghz antennae and one a 5Ghz antennae I think, you can only check that the card itself is securely seated, but from your image I cannot clearly see how it is secured.

Take the laptop, as close as you can the router see if then picks up a signal

Take the laptop to a friends house see if it sees their network

Try a USB wireless adaptor

Go here
http://support1.tosh...in7-9204190.zip

which is the latest driver for windows7 32 bit on that Toshiba for the Atheros from this site

http://uk.computers.....jsp?service=UK

download that unzip

open device manager open network devices
double click the Atheros click update driver

DO not allow windows to find it install it yourself, clicking on browse my computer for driver software and then browse to where you have saved the driver.

Advertisements

Pookani

Pookani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I put my laptop as close to my router, and my neighbours but it didn't pick up any signal.

As for the USB wireless adaptor, I don't have one on hand. Is it recommended that I go out and buy one?

For the driver link you gave, I cannot download that one because I am running windows vista, not windows 7. So I downloaded the 3rd driver on the list here: http://aps2.toshiba-...?page=downloads

So what I did was when I browsed for the location of the driver, I selected the overall folder that it's in, and not any of the subfolders. When click ok and then let it update my driver, it says that the driver is already up to date.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

don't have one on hand. Is it recommended that I go out and buy one?

Well, I am not telling you to buy anything, that suggestion is outside the ambit of the site, can you borrow one from a friend etc.

Go start - windows button please, in search type
msinfo32

when that opens click edit, click select all, click edit, click copy

paste to reply please

Pookani

Pookani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I'll see what I can do about the USB adapter.

And wow I am really sorry I forgot that I had the OS updated to windows 7 a while back. Sorry I don't persnally use this laptop too much so I forgot. I have re-downloaded the driver and done as per your instructions but still the laptop is not picking up any signals.

here's what I got for the msinfo32 though:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name removed-PC
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model Satellite L300D
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. 1.70, 9/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name removed
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.87 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.22 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.74 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.07 GB
Page File Space 2.87 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well you will no doubt have realised that I asked for the msinfo32 as I was sure you were running windows 7.

If you have downloaded the driver I sent you, the latest for that computer Atheros chip card for windows 7 and installed it as per my guidance.
Not merely letting windows find the driver then you are back to the conclusion that the dropping of the laptop on the floor/ground is the cause.

Indeed you are lucky to escaped with only that.

Not connecting to the internet is one thing, but not seeing any possible connections is another and on all the evidence available it is the dropping that has caused it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pookani

It is now some 16 days since we heard from you and I just wondered how things were going.
An update would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks