Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSODs 10 minutes after startup (IF it starts up)

• Please log in to reply

Whiteyak

Whiteyak

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone,

I have an odd problem with my laptop, one that I've never seen before. For the past several months my computer has been getting a BSOD more and more often. It has been getting worse over the past month. I've been trying to find more information online but I haven't seen a specific solution. Here's what has been going on. Early on in the problem, it would crash occasionally (maybe once every 2 days). Now I get a BSOD about 5 to 10 minutes after I start up, but the weird thing is that after I get the BSOD (which happens every time), then my computer starts up and runs without getting a BSOD. It will run with no problems as long as I don't shut down or restart my computer; if I shut it down or restart then I will get another BSOD after startup. Lately it's been getting so bad that most of the time it won't be able to boot up. It gets to the "starting windows" screen, sits there for about 5-10 minutes, then has to run the startup repair. This doesn't work. If it takes a long time at the starting windows screen, I usually just power it down and try again until it finally boots up, so I can allow it to BSOD and then run normally. I have written down the BSOD errors and will list them below (the top 3 are the ones I see most often):

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
BAD_POOL_HEADER
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
APC_INDEX_MIXMATCH
INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR
PAGED_FAULT_IN_A_NONPAGED_AREA

Also, here is the event log of the BSOD I had this morning when I booted up:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-05-12T13:09:52.476545700Z" />
<EventRecordID>271427</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>WilliamY-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">30</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Product Type : Notebook
Product Model : G51J
Place of Purchase : Newegg.com
Date of Purchase : 2010/7/25

Operating System : Windows 7 64bit

Here is a link to the laptop: My link

I have run Memtest twice before, 8 passes each and nothing found. I also just ran Seagate's Seatools for Windows to scan my hard drive and it didn't find anything either. My warranty runs out in in July so if it's a hardware issue then I can eventually get it fixed, but I'm not able to do that now due to some online courses and such. Help please!

Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions you may have for me.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
run chkdsk /r...lowdown is here...
another guide is here...if you use this one be sure both boxes are checked