Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen (BSOD)

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

load the main partition with windows 7 again, then install all the original drivers?

Yes

And I'll still have my factory restore partition saved so I could still use that?

As long as the recovery partition has not been damaged with all this so far.

Also, can I install windows 7, then if my factory partition is saved could I just restore with that and get my drivers through that?

Again it depends on if that partition is useable as I said above. If not then manually finding the drivers will be the only way. There is a way to get all the drivers for the system and put them all in one folder for easy access if you ever need them.

Advertisements

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

load the main partition with windows 7 again, then install all the original drivers?

Yes

And I'll still have my factory restore partition saved so I could still use that?

As long as the recovery partition has not been damaged with all this so far.

Also, can I install windows 7, then if my factory partition is saved could I just restore with that and get my drivers through that?

Again it depends on if that partition is useable as I said above. If not then manually finding the drivers will be the only way. There is a way to get all the drivers for the system and put them all in one folder for easy access if you ever need them.

I still haven't had any luck... it's mainly the driver_irql with acpi.sys blue screen that is the problem. I do remember that it happened shortly after I plugged in a USB sensor for my wireless mouse. I plugged it in and it did work for a little bit, I left for about 5 minutes, came back and it was a blue screen. I only used the wireless mouse maybe 2 or 3 times, and I remember that this happened before but couldn't remember the exact blue screen code. Also I found this info as well. http://www.0x000000d...s_or_equal.html My problem is that I can't access the desktop though, so any fixes or programs will have to be bootable...

Edited by jay012992, 03 June 2012 - 10:12 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So have you done the new install yet?

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

So have you done the new install yet?

No not yet I was still trying to see if I can find a fix still, I'm kinda holding that option last... I wanted to save my recovery partition. But what exactly is acpi.sys?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Long boring explanation ahead:

ACPI.sys is a program system file that most likely was on your computer when you first purchased it, as system applications or drivers usually arrive pre installed (although remember it is possible that you made hardware changes on your computer, and when you add new hardware you typically install new drivers for that new hardware, so it may also have arrived that way). ACPI.sys most likely appears as a service on your computer, so you won't find it in your system startup list or BHO list, etc. The actual disk folder location is also listed below to help you verify that ACPI.sys is not a virus or spyware module, as often spyware and virus writers place similiar or same named files in other folders, hoping that you think that is the same file. Always verify the folder location to make sure it is the correct file and disk location. This file is from Microsoft and it is part of the Microsoft Windows operating system drivers and associated with the CPU and various internal functions. This ACPI.sys file is considered safe and is not spyware, adware, or virus related.

Simply put it is a system file needed to install drivers.
Do you still have the USB sensor for the mouse installed?

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Long boring explanation ahead:

ACPI.sys is a program system file that most likely was on your computer when you first purchased it, as system applications or drivers usually arrive pre installed (although remember it is possible that you made hardware changes on your computer, and when you add new hardware you typically install new drivers for that new hardware, so it may also have arrived that way). ACPI.sys most likely appears as a service on your computer, so you won't find it in your system startup list or BHO list, etc. The actual disk folder location is also listed below to help you verify that ACPI.sys is not a virus or spyware module, as often spyware and virus writers place similiar or same named files in other folders, hoping that you think that is the same file. Always verify the folder location to make sure it is the correct file and disk location. This file is from Microsoft and it is part of the Microsoft Windows operating system drivers and associated with the CPU and various internal functions. This ACPI.sys file is considered safe and is not spyware, adware, or virus related.

Simply put it is a system file needed to install drivers.
Do you still have the USB sensor for the mouse installed?

No I took it out afterwards

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Has there been more BSOD's since taking it out?

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Has there been more BSOD's since taking it out?

Yea just the same one that I've been getting when I turn the computer on and select launch startup repair it'll say loading windows files or whatever then goes to the blue screen with driver_irql and acpi.sys, or sometimes it'll just say acpi.sys and the driver_irql part won't be there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you need to proceed to wiping out the installation and reinstalling fresh. Just don't get rid of the recovery partition. Simply format the main partition and install the OS on that.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Then you need to proceed to wiping out the installation and reinstalling fresh. Just don't get rid of the recovery partition. Simply format the main partition and install the OS on that.

Okay, what should I use? DBAN? Then wipe the main partition and reinstall my OS on that? Also, when I save my recovery partition, could I reinstall everything after wiping my drive by going back and doing a factory restore? Or will I have to reinstall my OS first, then do the factory restore, so I get all my default programs back so it's still like the day I bought it?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can use the OS installation disk to format that partition and then install on the newly formatted partition.
You can try the factory restore after wiping it clean to see if it will then work.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

You can use the OS installation disk to format that partition and then install on the newly formatted partition.
You can try the factory restore after wiping it clean to see if it will then work.

Okay, and should I use dban or do you have a preferred option of wiping it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As I said the OS installation disk will allow you to format the partition thus erasing everything.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

As I said the OS installation disk will allow you to format the partition thus erasing everything.

Ohhh okay sorry I missed that. Okay I'll go ahead and try that, I'll update you once I do. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 22 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.