Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen (BSOD)

• Please log in to reply

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 22 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

No I still wasn't able to resolve it myself. I took it to a local computer shop near me, they tested all the hardware on it and there wasn't anything wrong with any hardware, so the blue screen must of been related to a system file or something. He said he would charge me $69 to do what he called a windows reload, which he explained is basically reloading the windows OEM so it's like the day I bought it. ? I was wondering if I should just go through with that, or try it myself, only problem is I don't have the right software to do that, like another windows 7 cd, etc... Also, I was wondering, if he reloads the windows OEM, is he for sure that will load it back to like it was the day I bought it? Which means keeping all my pre installed software, anti virus and as well as the recovery partition, or is reloading the OEM completely wiping everything? I just don't really trust these local computer shops, but I figured I'd give it a try since he offered free diagnostics, then again, I've never used a local computer shop so I guess I can't judge yet.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Which means keeping all my pre installed software, anti virus and as well as the recovery partition, or is reloading the OEM completely wiping everything?

Normally this means a format and clean install. Also most shops usually wipe out any recovery partition so any preinstalled software is gone.
Ending result is do you want anything saved before this then we have to make sure to backup all the data you want to keep.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Which means keeping all my pre installed software, anti virus and as well as the recovery partition, or is reloading the OEM completely wiping everything?

Normally this means a format and clean install. Also most shops usually wipe out any recovery partition so any preinstalled software is gone.
Ending result is do you want anything saved before this then we have to make sure to backup all the data you want to keep.

Okay gotcha. So should I let him do that then for $69 or do you think there might be another way around all this mess? I guess pretty much what I'm saying is do you think it's worth it or is there another direction to go...?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you want to return it to factory the factory partition should do that. If not working then you would need a OS disk the same as what was originally installed to do it. You of course would have to download all the drivers and install them to get everything working but that usually isn't a problem. The other option which may be a lot less expensive is to egt hold of the manufacturer of the laptop and see about purchasing a set of recovery disk. Normally these run about 30 dollars and will include all the original software, drivers and the OS.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

If you want to return it to factory the factory partition should do that. If not working then you would need a OS disk the same as what was originally installed to do it. You of course would have to download all the drivers and install them to get everything working but that usually isn't a problem. The other option which may be a lot less expensive is to egt hold of the manufacturer of the laptop and see about purchasing a set of recovery disk. Normally these run about 30 dollars and will include all the original software, drivers and the OS.

Well he gave my laptop back, but he wasn't able to fix it. He said it kept crashing/blue screening during the reload process. He said he thinks it's something on my motherboard like a chipset or something cause he tested all the hardware inside and everything came back good. So I guess I'm narrowing down my options to sending it into Acer or buying a set of recovery discs, which I have my doubts that they will work if he couldn't even get the reload to work. Also I was gonna ask, could the cmos battery on the motherboard cause a bsod if it was low or almost dead? I remember seeing/reading about that somewhere that sometimes they can cause that... But I don't know... Do you have any other options?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually as long as the system is plugged in or better yet turned on the cmos battery does nothing after the bootup. It is there to tell the system what hardware and peripherals are in use by the motherboard.
Did he run hard drive diagnostics or memory diagnostics using a bootable disk?

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Actually as long as the system is plugged in or better yet turned on the cmos battery does nothing after the bootup. It is there to tell the system what hardware and peripherals are in use by the motherboard.
Did he run hard drive diagnostics or memory diagnostics using a bootable disk?

Yea I believe so. He said he tested everything inside, all the hardware, and said that the hard drive, ram, video card, everything was good. Seems like it would be something simple, but I just can't figure it out...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK have you tried to get to the recovery partition to see if it will do a factory restore?
Remind me please what the brand name of the laptop is so I can find the recovery instructions for you.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

OK have you tried to get to the recovery partition to see if it will do a factory restore?
Remind me please what the brand name of the laptop is so I can find the recovery instructions for you.

Yes, I tried and before it would actually get to the recovery settings where I click next and so on, it would blue screen on me. Before I was able to get to that point, then it would blue screen, now it does before. It's an Acer Aspire 5733z.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then with it doing that in a DOS environment would indicate a motherboard, CPU or PSU issue. You can try to go into the bios and see if there is a Power area where it shows your voltages. The two I am interested in are the +3.3 and +12 volt readings.

Advertisements

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

OK then with it doing that in a DOS environment would indicate a motherboard, CPU or PSU issue. You can try to go into the bios and see if there is a Power area where it shows your voltages. The two I am interested in are the +3.3 and +12 volt readings.

Yea I tried to find that earlier but I couldn't see it anywhere on my bios, cause I was gonna check the voltage of my cmos battery. Could it be in another spot or maybe another way to find it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would have to be in windows where we could use a couple of programs to test the PSU and see what the readings are.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

You would have to be in windows where we could use a couple of programs to test the PSU and see what the readings are.

Okay. Are there anyways I could reinstall all my drivers without being in windows? Like maybe from a bootable usb or cd? All the drivers are here. http://support.acer....=1&modelId=3680
Also I noticed under the BIOS tab, there was yet another update for my BIOS in June. I'm not sure if that would seem weird or not considering before the April update they didn't update since 2008... But idk... If nothing else works I'll probably end up sending it to Acer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No you have to be in windows to install drivers.
You should never update a bios unless it is going to add some functionality to the system. Something like added speed for the cpu or update USB from 2.0 to 3.0
As far as sending it to Acer I would make sure anything that is important is backed up because in most cases the answer will be a total factory system restore. This will mean everything will be erased.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

No you have to be in windows to install drivers.
You should never update a bios unless it is going to add some functionality to the system. Something like added speed for the cpu or update USB from 2.0 to 3.0
As far as sending it to Acer I would make sure anything that is important is backed up because in most cases the answer will be a total factory system restore. This will mean everything will be erased.

Waiting to hear back from Acer right now. In the meantime I thought I would try and run a bootable Kaspersky Rescue Disk which I guess is like an antivirus scan. Anyways when I tried to plug in my usb stick it wouldn't load or anything it would just freeze, when I unplugged my usb stick it then continued to load until it hits blue screen. I was thinking about the time when I plugged in my usb sensor for my mouse, how shortly after when I came back into my room it was blue screen, do you think my usb ports could be bad? And is there a way of disabling them so they don't run at all to see if I could start up without them?