Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shutting down [Split]

• Please log in to reply

Bestia454

Bestia454

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a problem like this but it's somewhat diffrent on an old computer that i gave to my sister it was a p2 450 mhz 128 mb ram now the odd thing about this is it would just shut down when ever it wanted to i will be siting there at the other computer and it will shut off sometimes it would come back on other times i would try to play quake 3 on it and as soon as it was done loading it would shut down sometimes i would touch the case and it would shut down i took the side off of it while it was on and touched the main power supply wire going into the motherbord and once again it would shut down it dident do this too often but mostley right after i loaded quake 3 > then loaded a mod called urban terror. no real need to reply but it would be nice to know why it does this. funny thing that p2 runs super strong my p3 1100 mhz with a brand-new os sometimes runs worse than it.

Thanks for reading this. oh yeah in my p3 i have one of those nice cases with a glass in the side in the middle of glass theres a fan that lights up blue (pretty cool) but anyway theres also about 6 other fans running off it and two neons in the front with ... get this you know the light that moves back and forth in a scaner well i had a broken scaner and took the light out and put it inside so its nice and bright in there. now what i want to know is this too much draw off i think a 300watt power unit?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy bestia454:

I am going to ask a forum mod to split your post into it's own thread !! :tazz:

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 03 June 2005 - 07:54 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Oh boy.. That really depends on everything else being powered by the PSU.. 300 watts is bare minimum and you may find that upgrading to a 450 or better is not to far down the road..

As for the other system, when was the last time you cleaned out the PSU fan and the CPU fan and heatsink??

Murray