Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the "Geeks 2 Go" suggested way 2 start a NEW computer

• Please log in to reply

penelopepony

penelopepony

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Get new pc or harddrive off on the right track.

I've added Malbytes, but it isn't working. I've also added Lava Spybot. TFC, the lil temp file cleaner, looks like a trash can. TDS Killer. Ad-Aware, OTL, & Avira.

I have yr. old Tosh. w/new harddrive, win 7 Home prem., version: 6.1., x64 based pc, intel, system 32

TY for all your help, I've been reading, but also share pc w/husband, and he gets ansy when he wants to play fb games :D

Penny

Edited by penelopepony, 14 May 2012 - 11:53 AM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Hi, PenelopePony (I remember her!),

I've added Malbytes, but it isn't working.

I assume you mean Malwarebytes? What do you mean by it isn't working? If you've downloaded the free version, it's an on-demand scanner only, meaning you have to run a scan manually. The paid version will offer real-time protection.

I've also added Lava Spybot.

Not a program I personally recommend anymore, as I don't feel it is as effective against current malware.

TFC, the lil temp file cleaner, looks like a trash can

This is something that you have to run manually as well. It's a good idea to clean out your temp files periodically using this.

TDS Killer.

TDSS Killer is a program developed for removing the TDSS rootkit. Having it installed provides no protection against anything, it's a removal tool only. It should be uninstalled from your PC.

Ad-Aware

I don't recommend this program for the same reason I gave for Spybot.

OTL

This is not a protection program. This is an analysis program used by our malware staff to help determine what infections may be present on an infected machine. There's no added benefit to having this installed, and if you were to become infected, you'd be asked to download the most recent version anyway.

Avira

This is an antivirus program, you definitely want to keep this, and make sure it stays updated.

You should also make sure your Windows firewall is on. It should be on by default, but you can verify this by clicking the Start orb in the lower left, selecting Control Panel, and then selecting System and Security. The second item listed should be Windows Firewall, and below that you'll see Check Firewall Status. When you click on that, you'll see a big box in the middle, and Home or Private (Work) networks. That should have a green shield with a checkmark to indicate that the firewall is on. Below that is Public Networks - the firewall should also be on for that.

If your husband is playing a lot of Facebook games, you might want to consider either upgrading Malwarebytes to get the real-time protection, or using a program such as Spywareblaster. He should also be logging into Facebook using the secure url: https://www.facebook.com, instead of http://www.facebook.com. I also hope he's not clicking on all the links people post - there are a great many scams on Facebook, and the best protection is to avoid clicking on links from unknown sources. Even if it's on a friend's profile, there are many scams that will post these links.

I hope this helps - please feel free to ask for further clarification.

sari

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thank you,

On Malwarebytes, when I run it, I get a "Runtime error 5, Invalid procedure or argument."

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Have you done what sari recommended and uninstalled the OTL and TDS - especially those two.

Then follow this please
Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • Click on the Start Posted Image button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from
  • http://www.malwareby...lwarebytes_free

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
penelopepony
It is now some 12 days since the last post on your topic.
Would you kindly update us, on how you managed with this problem