Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply

Rickles

Rickles

• PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
Hi,

Computer is a HP Compaq Presario Desktop
Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and legal.

Yesterday all was well and the last thing to happen on shutting down was a Windows Update which I let happen then the computor shut down as normal.

Today I had only just uninstalled Nero 7 as I had a problem with it and I put in the Nero DVD to reinstall, E Drive, and nothing.

I checked Device Manager and there is the exclamation mark in a yellow circle.

Plugged in an external dvd drive and got the same as above.

Ran SCANNOW but it just checked everything and shut itself down after checking.

I can if needs be run a dvd in my laptop and transfer work from that to the desktop.

Not overly worried as most of my dvds are backed up to external drives and flash drives which are running as normal.

Can you help?
Regards

Advertisements

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
Hi,
Can you delete this query for me?

My friendly computer tech has figured it out.

It seems that because I uninstalled the Nero Burning program Windows has changed the Registery.

I don't like going into that section so I am giving him the computer tomorrow, my time, and he will fix it.. :ph34r:

Regards

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for letting us know and we hope he can fix it for you.
:thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Received via pm this morning:

Hi, all fixed now. He said its a weird thing to happen and not just with Nero. He said it is a common problem due to Windows programs. Regards

Strange as I ran Nero for years and didn't have this issue when I uninstalled it. Glad it is all working now and you are back up and running.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sometimes removing a burning program screws up the upper and lower filters for the cd/dvd drive