Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE not responding, no defrag, & failed updates.

• Please log in to reply

Sarous

Sarous

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Windows Vista 32-bit. This started as an issue with malware, but, after a couple of weeks of cleaning, we believe all have been cleaned. It was suggested that I make a post in this department because of that, and the remaining problems.

Summerized Problem List:
Internet Explorer 9 "has stopped working" everytime I try to load it.
IE fails to update via Windows Update
IE gives the message "cannot install because a more recent version is present" when I try to install manually
IE will not uninstall
"Microsoft Windows" heading does not appear under 'uninstall an update'
4 other updates fail to install via Windows Update
Defrag does not load, giving only a brief mouse flicker when trying to click its icon.

Previous Thread:
http://www.geekstogo...nd-worms-oh-my/

Edited by Sarous, 15 May 2012 - 09:17 PM.

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Have you tried Tweaking.com program?

http://www.tweaking....all_in_one.html

Let me know if this fixes the issue for you.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Definite improvement! Defrag is working (running it now). IE still gives the 'has stopped responding' error, tho. Attempted to uninstall it (so I can reinstall), but failed (see pic). Microsoft Windows heading, along with a long list of updates under it, has reappeared in its proper place.

command prompt, sfc /scannow, still lists a pending repair and thus will not run.
Windows Update also lists an update that refuses to unjar from its gizzard after a dozen shutdowns

Attached Thumbnails

• Snapshot_2012-05-15_231233.png
  • Snapshot_2012-05-15_235635.png

Edited by Sarous, 15 May 2012 - 10:59 PM.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Ok, your Windows is 32-bit Vista, try this:

http://www.microsoft...ils.aspx?id=504

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Program run successfully. No noticeable differences.

Attempted resetting IE via Internet Options>Advanced>Reset, no change: It still "has stopped working" every time I open IE.

Edited by Sarous, 16 May 2012 - 04:15 PM.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Dunno if it helps, but if brought up in Startup/F8/Repair Computer mode, running 'sfc /scannow' gives a different error: "Windows Resource Protection count not start the repair service"

Edited by Sarous, 17 May 2012 - 09:48 PM.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Sorry for missing this topic.

Anyway, do you have the appropriate Windows Vista CD for your system? So we can try out the repair install now ... unless someone else here has another idea in mind before we go ahead and do that.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Regrettably, I do not have any of the CDs for this laptop.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Ah, that sucks. Is there a way you could borrow one from a friend or someone else who owns a CD that's for the same version of Vista as yours?

In the meantime, I'll see what else to suggest for you to do. Have you done a chkdsk on your drive yet?

Just right-click your local drive. Properties -> Tools -> Check Now ... and make sure only the first option is selected. Then click Start and reboot when asked to. The system will do a chkdsk /f upon reboot.

If that doesn't work, try going back to the Repair Computer Command Prompt (via F8) and type in the following:

sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\Windows

and press Enter.

Let me know the outcome.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Error-Checking runs successfully and returns no problems.

SFC in pre-boot prompt: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

I should be able to get a vista CD, but it'll be a few days.

edit: spelling

Edited by Sarous, 22 May 2012 - 10:55 AM.

Advertisements

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Have a Vista Ultimate install disk, but encountered a problem. This vista is a Home Basic computer, and it won't permit me to upgrade to Home Basic. I could probably upgrade to Home Premium or Ultimate, but I'm not sure how that would affect the machine as I do not have keys for the higher versions?

Edit: expanded details

Edited by Sarous, 24 May 2012 - 03:55 PM.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
If it's the same version, then you need to make sure they're the same service pack also.

If the CD isn't packed with any Service Pack, and your system is, then you need to try uninstalling any Service Packs from your computer before you do the repair install.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Lists as Service Pack 2, however I do not appear to be able to uninstall the service packs

Attached Thumbnails

• Snapshot_2012-05-24_215629.png

Edited by Sarous, 24 May 2012 - 08:57 PM.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
There's always the method of slipstreaming Vista SP2, but I've never really tried this one yet and not sure if it's against the rules for me to do so, so what I'll do is contact one of the techs available to guide you through this. And we'll see how it goes from there.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Just read a guide on how to do it. Think I understand the principal, and agree that it would work to create a service packed install CD.. but why would that enable the install cd to "upgrade" an existing Home Basic to Home Basic?