Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE not responding, no defrag, & failed updates.

• Please log in to reply

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Mixed results. Successfully installed parallel from the slipstream, but it still does not permit the "upgrade" option.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Exactly what upgrade are you trying to do now?

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Computer is a HomeBasic SP2, that someone lent me to de-malware for them, Toshiba Satellite pre-installed. Slipstream disk that we just made is HomeBasic SP2.

Edit: Original disk for which the slipstream was made was a torrented HomeBasic/HomePremium/Ultimate.

Edited by Sarous, 26 May 2012 - 08:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so is the serial number from the system or the torrent?
I still don't see what you are trying to upgrade to since you installed home basic SP2 on the parallel it should be fully working.
The updates you should have to do is all the drivers and the windows updates.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
As per repair install instructions, I'm not entering any keys- So I'm presuming that it would be using the system's serial if we ever get as far as activation. The parallel does seem to be working flawlessly, but I'm operating on the premise that it was simply a testbed- so I can run a proper repair install on the primary OS as I'm attempting to keep from having to wipe.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The point of the Parallel is to put a good working OS on your system. Now you move your data over, reinstall all your programs back into the original folders they were in. Then update all drivers and Windows updates all the time rechecking the system to make sure everything is working properly. When done and if everything is working correctly then you delete the old installation per the instruction I posted for the parallel installation.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Is there a way to dig out the activation key from the primary OS? We don't have any of the paperwork that came with the laptop as the owner spent a year out of state getting rid of cancer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it hasn't asked for it or doesn't show as a evaluation or trial period then you may not need it.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Ok. Thanks for all you guys' help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would give you a 30 day notice on the bottom right of the screen.

Advertisements

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I don't recall seeing such a notice, so hopefully it won't need one

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 32 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Issue was resolved at #39.

Created a new hard drive partition, installed a fresh copy of windows on said partition, and used it as the primary computer. Kept the old partition til the new one proved to work past 30 days, planning to delete the old one soon.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible