Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screensaver and power settings suddenly not working [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Hi Arwier,
The MBAM log looks great to me, I would like to check one more thing, your security programs.
Thanks for sticking with me, let's make sure you don't have to come back soon :)

Step 1
Download Security Check from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

In your next reply I would like to see:
  • the contents of checkup.txt

Advertisements

arwier

arwier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
here is the log

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.38
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!
avast! Antivirus
Antivirus up to date!
```````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.61.0.1400
Java™ 6 Update 29
Java version out of date!
Adobe Flash Player 10 Flash Player out of date!
Adobe Flash Player 10.2.152.32 Flash Player out of Date!
Adobe Reader 9 Adobe Reader out of date!
Mozilla Firefox (8.0)
````````````````````````````````
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe
AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe
AVAST Software Avast avastUI.exe
``````````End of Log````````````

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Hi arwier,
As you see from the security check program that there are a few issues you should clear up.
Old version of Java and the Adobe products are a way that malware can slip into your computer, Keeping them updated is pretty important.

Step 1

Upgrade Java : (32 bits)
  • Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) JRE 7 Update 3 .
  • Under the JAVA Platform Standard Edition, click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
  • Accept License Agreement.[/b]".
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation 32 bit ( jre-7u3-windows-i586.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.(Vista or Win 7 users, right click on the jre-7u3-windows-i586.exe and select "Run as an Administrator.")

Step 2
Your Flash Player is out of date,
Please visit this site which will verify your Flash Player version, and then click on the Player Download Center link on that page to download the latest version.

Step 3
Your Adobe reader is out of date, the newest is Reader X, (actually the newest version is 10.1.3) and you can directly download it from here

Step 4
Your Firefox version is kind of old, it's currently up to version 12 and yours is version 8
Check this procedure to check for updates

Let me know how you make out with these updates.

arwier

arwier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I have updaated all but the java I don't update that because the newer versions do not work with pogo games which I play quite regularly and I never use firefox just haven't removed it

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Hi arwier,
My wife is a big Pogo game fan and I am rather familiar with Pogo, so I updated to Java Version 7 update 4 and did some testing, and every game I tried, worked just fine. It's your choice, but updating your Java is pretty important from a security standpoint. The bad guys write code to exploit weaknesses, and then the good guys patch those weaknesses. If you don't upgrade to the newest versions, you are still vulnerable. I would like to see you do the upgrade, but it's totally your call.

Other than that.....

Now for the best part of the day! Congratulations, your logs appear to be clean! :thumbsup:
Let's do a little cleanup and then concentrate on keeping your computer safe in the future.

Please re-run OTL one more time and click on the CleanUp button. This will remove all of the tools we have used, including OTL itself.

Make sure your computer is current with it's Windows updates.
Are your Automatic Updates enabled? They should be!
  • Click Start,
  • Click Control Panel.
  • Click Automatic Updates (XP) - or System and Security (Vista, 7)
  • Choose Automatic (recommended) (XP). or Turn automatic updating on or off (Vista, 7)
  • Choose a time when your computer will be turned on
  • Click OK

It is very important to keep your Java and Adobe Reader updated as these are prime targets of exploits these days. I use JavaRa to help keep Java current, but you can also go to Java.com and check for the latest updates. The adobe reader can be updated manually by going to Adobe.com

Please make sure you have an Anti-Virus product installed (Important to use only ONE A-V and make sure it is updated at all times). I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials, but I also recommend Avira, or Avast.

Windows Firewall: Please make sure that you have the Windows Firewall up and running, without a firewall your computer is vulnerable.
Windows 7/Vista
Windows XP

Using an on-demand malware scanner is a great idea, and MalwareBytes is the best one to use. I try to scan with mine at least once every two weeks: Malware Bytes

A FREE program that will help you to stay clean:
SpywareBlaster - Prevent the installation of spyware

A good verified backup is SUPER critical to keeping your sanity, and this is a good article to read. If any of your files are important to you, you need to back them up. I can't stress this enough, all hard drives will eventually die!

And finally please give these two articles on getting infected and staying clean a read,
So how did I get infected in the first place?
How to prevent Malware

Good luck and stay safe out there!

arwier

arwier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Thank you for all your help and I really do appreciate it

Elise

Elise

Emsisoft Research

• Expert
  • 3,389 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.