Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast vs MSE

• Please log in to reply

Granny Gizz

Granny Gizz

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've been using Avast as my anti-virus program. If I install Microsoft Security Essentials, should I stop using Avast? Which do you recommend?

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
The choice is yours. However, I'd recommend that you stick to Avast unless it's giving you issues and you feel you should replace it with another antivirus.

Both Avast and MSE are lightweight and have better detection rates and fewer false positives than other free (and even paid) antiviruses like AVG and such. But if you want to give MSE a try, then you must uninstall Avast regardless. Having two antiviruses running on your system will likely lead to conflicts and significant decline in system performance. Only one antivirus at a time.

Granny Gizz

Granny Gizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you. I knew about not having more than one anti-virus running at a time, but didn't know if MSE fit in that catagory. Appreciate your expertise.....Mary