Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire One Happy, restore factory settings error

• Please log in to reply

Juno_Eris

Juno_Eris

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm in Australia and I have an Acer Aspire One Happy with Windows 7 starter (purchased 6 months ago), which refused to progress past the welcome screen after entering my password. I ended up pressing Alt+f10 at startup and going to restore factory settings and retain user data. I am now stuck in a loop where it has completed backup of files and update, and has 'Setup is starting services'. But a window keeps popping up saying "windows could not complete the installation. to install windows on the computer. restart the installation". Every time I restart it goes to this error. Even if I go to safe mode it goes to this. Help!

Edited by Juno_Eris, 16 May 2012 - 09:23 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

I would have thought that if it was purchased NEW 6 months ago, your best course of action, once you had the failure to load Windows, was to check the warrantry/service agreement and return it to the supplier

I still believe that is an option you should explore, as if it proves to be a hardware fault, the HDD, etc, the check of the situation should be made sooner rather than later

Have you NOT kept a backup at all

If you boot on F8 do you have the option Repair Your Computer and if so did you explore this on a startup repair and a cmd prompt with a chkdsk etc before you proceeded to a recovery on F10

I repeat, that I believe best advice is as I outlined in my opening remarks

If you have no backup and depending on what stage the recovery has progressed to, I would attempt to recover your personal data, using this
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

If that Acer Aspire One is a notebook without an optical drive then see the link - on that link I sent regarding loading Puppy from a USB pen, that of course will require you to change boot option in BIOS to boot from USB if suchy option is available on that Acer
If not, then you are either into obtaining an external optical drive OR taking out the hard drive and connecting it in a 2.5 enclosure and then seeing if you can access the data on another computer with it connected USB

Please indicate your intentions as to return under service agrrement etc or if you wish to proceed on here please list ALL you have tried to date.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Juno_Eris ... :wave: ..:welcome:
it will still be under warranty period so contact acer support here
email and chat here...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well, there you are.

My good colleague happyrock, has given you the same advice, as I posted.

I would have thought that if it was purchased NEW 6 months ago, your best course of action, once you had the failure to load Windows, was to check the warrantry/service agreement and return it to the supplier

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry mac...there wasn't any replies to his topic when I started posting...took a few minute because I was on the phone at the same time and you (fast fingers) squeezed in... :lol:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
NO I just appreciate the confirmation for the benefit of Juno_Eris

Juno_Eris

Juno_Eris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Welcome to GeekstoGo

I still believe that is an option you should explore, as if it proves to be a hardware fault, the HDD, etc, the check of the situation should be made sooner rather than later

Have you NOT kept a backup at all

If you boot on F8 do you have the option Repair Your Computer and if so did you explore this on a startup repair and a cmd prompt with a chkdsk etc before you proceeded to a recovery on F10

If you have no backup and depending on what stage the recovery has progressed to, I would attempt to recover your personal data, using this
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

If that Acer Aspire One is a notebook without an optical drive then see the link - on that link I sent regarding loading Puppy from a USB pen, that of course will require you to change boot option in BIOS to boot from USB if suchy option is available on that Acer
If not, then you are either into obtaining an external optical drive OR taking out the hard drive and connecting it in a 2.5 enclosure and then seeing if you can access the data on another computer with it connected USB

Please indicate your intentions as to return under service agrrement etc or if you wish to proceed on here please list ALL you have tried to date.

Thanks for the help (and to happyrock too!)

I wanted to check in first as it was around midnight that this happened, and needed it for a deadline (couldn't return to supplier, etc). My files aren't an issue because I save everything onto USBs/have copies. Mostly I just wanna get it to start!

- Yes, I have tried f8/repair comp/startup repair before recovery
- I'm not sure what chkdsk is but I did try a memory check before recovery

I'll definitely try contacting acer online, thanks for the link also, happyrock.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for replying.

If for some reason you have no success, then of course you are always more than welcome to come back here.