Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor Overclocking but Fear of OverHeating

• Please log in to reply

BenDK

BenDK

• Pip
  • 5 posts
having an I7 960, I love Flight Simulator X and It recommends Processor 4 Ghz and above. My CPU is at 3.2 Ghz, And i donno what the Multiplier is and the Bus speed. But according to what i think mine might be Bus speed = 200 Mhz and Multiplier = 16x Or 290 Mhz and 11x Multiplier, cause i usually see the multiplier is 11x.

I see by increasing the Bus Speed the the Memory and the cache differs so we have to equalize that too. I'm abit young with the Maths of these so please help me in it.

If i try first overclocking from default 3.2 Ghz, then:

3.4, Bclock = 290 Mhz, 11.7x multiplier. Exact = 3.39 Ghz
3.8, Bclock = 290 Mhz, 13.1x Multiplier. Exact = 3.79 Ghz
4.0, Bclock = 290 Mhz, 13.7x Multiplayer. Exact = 3.97 Ghz

I think I must change the Multiplier instead of the Bclock in order not to change the Memories i think, I'm not very sure or nearly there. but can you say anything or can you guys show me a tutorial please?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: BenDK
System requirements for Flight Simulator X http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925724 your processor is more than capable.
Overclocking can ruin a computer and should not be done unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Your post on Introductions says you are having problems with heat so I suggest we look at that issue asap.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

BenDK

BenDK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I also heard that The Motherboard is also a key factor of Overclocking. The Motherboard i have is intel DX58SO2. I also learnt that Bclock increase and Decrease Buttons are also installed inside the Motherboard and also the Reset Button along with the Start button.

Currently I'm In Dubai with my laptop and my Computer's is in India, i will be heading india at this month of 27th - 30th, will post results soon.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Ok we will look out for your update :thumbsup:

BenDK

BenDK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok For you guys to guess up i will give you the known knowledge of the I7 I had at home:

CPU 1 = 50C At idle, 80C at gaming
CPU 2 = Same at ilde, 70C at gaming
CPU 3 = Same at idle , 74C at Gaming
CPU 4 = Same at idle, 72C at gaming

The GPU temperature Stays very low to be exact.

It is Factory Overclocked to 915 Mhz, So I have used the Smart Doctor Asus to Reclock it to 900 or to 812 Mhz.

The Temperature of the GPU Is 30-40C at idle and 60C max At Gaming.

I have the Asus GTX 560 Ti Version which is quite extra tuned for Cooling.

I think i should buy a new Cooler for the CPU. I guess the Cool Master V8 or V6

Can you guys suggest me a very good Cooler for my CPU please? I am heading India 28th or So. So i might need to buy it in Dubai quick as possible. And Also need to convince my dad to buy it.

BenDK

BenDK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Update:

I've bought this cooler master V6-GT, I actually went for buying the V8, but talking to the shop keeper, he said V6's much better and 200 RPM more efficient, He also has V10, and here are the costs:

V6-GT, 215Dhirams
V8, 250 Dhirams
V10, 280 Dhirams.

Only 30 dhirams higher but Not being too Greedy, I took V6 knowing my mobo doesn't want to handle too much weight of the Cooler.

Edited by BenDK, 05 June 2012 - 02:57 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
A review of the cooler (Final words and conclusion) http://www.guru3d.co...v6-gt-review/10

BenDK

BenDK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Fitting the cooler isn't an issue and the Chassis can manage the cooler i think so.

I have is ThermalTake MK-1 Chassis, And Intel DX58SO2 motherboard.

With that Chassis there is a hole in the back of the chassis to fit some custom cooler.

And infact, my Dad's bro, who is currently living in India with me is a computer engineer, so he can sort some out.

I am getting feared by the size of the cooler. i suspect this cooler won't fit inside Intel DX58SO2 at the facing top, I think it will fit only facing side ways i think. Can you guess up and tell me?

Thanks in Advance

Edited by BenDK, 06 June 2012 - 07:08 AM.