Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need some help or advice or both

• Please log in to reply

cowboy9from0hell

cowboy9from0hell

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi all!!!! i have some questions for you all. i have a hp m8226x and the motherboard took a dump on me. the computer was all stock except for me adding a 1tb hard drive last year. is the computer worth saving or should i just rebuild or build a new one? the only gaming i really do is the total annihilation series, counter strike, half life, age of empires, unreal tournament and supreme commander. id like to stick with amd. here are the specs for my computer except for the hard drive thats a 1tb. http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01217546

Edited by phillpower2, 16 May 2012 - 01:27 PM.
Repaired link to product

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
:welcome: cowboy9from0hell
Couple of questions for you;
You say your MB is bad, how did you determine this please.
Depending on the answer to the above if your CPU is good do you wish to keep the CPU and we find you a suitable MB.
Has the present PSU been tested and ruled out as the cause of the MB failure.

Points for you to consider, with a new MB you may need to purchase compatible Ram + an add on video card and to provide enough power for the new hardware you may need a more powerful PSU.
If you provide us with your maximum budget it will give us something to work to.

cowboy9from0hell

cowboy9from0hell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
when i started the computer up it would load vista up then go to a blue screen and start beeping. so i took it to a local computer shop and the guy said my motherboard was shot. then i believe the other guy said it was the south bridge

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
Ok first off I am not suggesting that what you have been advised is incorrect but before replacing any hardware you should do what testing you can yourself, reason being you could have a bad PSU and replace the MB only for it to suffer the same damage.
Are you comfortable working inside your computer, I can provide step by step guidance for you if need be.

cowboy9from0hell

cowboy9from0hell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i'll put it that way. ive only ever changed hard drives, graphics cards and memory before. never really messed with the processor or mother board but yeah im willing to give it a shot and learn

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
No need to worry about the MB and CPU for the initial checks other than to ensure that
the heatsink, CPU fan and all internal connections are secure.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following
safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall and take anti static
precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal
part of the case.
1: Your specs list 3GB of dual channel Ram suggesting that you have two sticks, remove
them both, blow out the slots, replace one stick only in slot one.
2: Clear the CMOS by removing the MBs silver CR2032 battery for a few moments and then
replace it, if you get the system back after clearing the CMOS you will need to go into
the BIOS, re-set the time and date and save (F10) Y to confirm and exit.
3: Reassemble but leave the side off so as to make sure that the CPU fan is working ok.
While the case is open the opportunity should be taken to clean out any heat trapping
dust, clean all fans, if canned compressed air is used do not allow fans to spin freely
use something like a clean popsicle stick to hold them still and finally make sure that
all connections are secure.

cowboy9from0hell

cowboy9from0hell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok thank you for your help. if i cant get to it tonight or tomorrow then i'll reply back this weekend. as of budget as budget i really havent looked into anything yet but id like some that can run the games i mentioned without a problem so id imagine id have to move up to a 4 core?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
We can get the testing done and then look at your upgrade options.
All weekend is good for me, meanwhile if you reply while I am offline someone else may chime in.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

when i started the computer up it would load vista up then go to a blue screen and start beeping.

What kind of beeping? Continuous beep beep. A number of beeps, then a gap, then repeated. Or long and short beeps?

cowboy9from0hell

cowboy9from0hell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well right now im debating on the AMD Phenom II X4 955 or the 965 be. the mother board i plan on getting is the ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS. sounds like a long beeps i suppose

Edited by cowboy9from0hell, 18 May 2012 - 06:47 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.
Your proposed MBs QVL is @ http://www.asus.com/...#specifications

Have you done any testing yet?
The error beep may suggest bad Ram or PSU!