Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VERY persistent crash

• Please log in to reply

pseudo_clever

pseudo_clever

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been having ongoing problems with my rig for more than a year now. Any game that I try to run on it is extremely unstable, and is likely to crash at least once an hour. Sometimes much more. This crash has survived:

3 motherboards, 2 processors, 2 different sticks of RAM, 3 sound cards, 3 LAN cards, 3 video cards, 2 power supplies, 3 cd-rom drive, 2 cases, and 2 keyboards. Also, more format and fresh installs than I can count, under Win98, Win2k, and WinXP Pro. About the only thing that I haven't changed has been the mouse (a Microsoft Opitcal Mouse.)

Most games crash with a custom error by the game manufaturer. When it crashes with a Microsoft error, it is invariably a c0000000005 error, with some address of memory being unreadable. MemTest86 has run for more than 24 hours on my RAM without returning a single error, however.

Each of the following accounts for about 25% of the crashes:

1. My screen goes black, however I can still hear game sound. Half the time I can alt+tab to my desktop and restore the game, otherwise I'm forced to reboot.
2. My screen goes black, and my monitor light blinks to indicate it isn't receiving input from the system. This always requires a reboot.
3. A simple "Crash to Desktop" with either a custom game message or the c00000005 crash mentioned above.
4. A blue screen - HOWEVER, the screen is blank, with no text. The color is the same as a standard blue screen. As you would expect, this requires a reboot. Afterward, Windows informs me of the crash, and asks me to submit crash data. If I do, they report that the problem is "Caused by a device driver," however they cannot say which driver.

Please help!

Windows XP Pro
Asus A7V880 Motherboard w/ AMD Athlon 3000
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128meg (Saphire)
512meg DDR400 RAM (Samsung)
40gb Serial ATA Hard Drive
400watt Power supply
52x CD-R/RW (TDK)
8x DVD-R (Generic)
No floppy drive
Several Aftermarket fans keep the CPU temperature at a constant 41C

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808.

Did you try updating your hardware drivers? Try to download and install Everest Home Edition, found below my signature. Run a hardware report then post a HTML attachment.

Please review this ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

ASUS A7V880, just search for the keyword A7V880, or you may use the ASUS Navigation Wizard found on the left (the green circle).

pseudo_clever

pseudo_clever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Here is the Everest Report, as requested. Also, as I've said I upgraded every driver I can think of, with few changes, including all bios and appropriate Asus drivers. I even did some digging and found a driver for my monitor :tazz:

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
asus website is down, so I cannot check all I would like

custom error info would be helpful

1. My screen goes black, however I can still hear game sound. Half the time I can alt+tab to my desktop and restore the game, otherwise I'm forced to reboot.

2. My screen goes black, and my monitor light blinks to indicate it isn't receiving input from the system. This always requires a reboot.

3. A simple "Crash to Desktop" with either a custom game message or the c00000005 crash mentioned above.

4. A blue screen - HOWEVER, the screen is blank, with no text. The color is the same as a standard blue screen. As you would expect, this requires a reboot. Afterward, Windows informs me of the crash, and asks me to submit crash data. If I do, they report that the problem is "Caused by a device driver," however they cannot say which driver.

interesting,

1 indicates driver issue or game patch

2 indicates hardware

3. screams video driver or memory

4. says bad windows install

Gut says bad ram, or unsupported ram, even though you swapped it out. Perhaps adjusting the memory timings to a slower speed would be helpful.

Disable sound on the motherboard---does that help?

pseudo_clever

pseudo_clever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Adjusted a few bios settings to reflect recent hardware changes. I disabled motherboard sound, however all of my voltage and timing settings for my memory, processor and video card are currently set to "Auto." My bios do not tell me what "auto" breaks down to, and I'm reluctant to play with those settings without more information.

Attached is a typical error message for World of Warcraft.

Attached Files

pseudo_clever

pseudo_clever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Nope, still crashing. Any ideas?