Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

So I upgraded my computer.

• Please log in to reply

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
So I upgraded my computer .....

Replaced my old AMD 64X2 3800 setup with:

ASRock H61ICAFE
PNY VCGGTX550TVXPB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

So my question is how much performance increase would I get if I add a additional CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)? So I can get a duel memory channel. I am thinking some but not much due to my main bottleneck now is the HDD only a 5400 RPM drive.

Advertisements

Balicasiopia

Balicasiopia

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Additional 4gb ram would let your computer run a faster. but I cant tell you how fast is it gonna be as it is very depending on how you use and what you use with

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,854 posts

Additional 4gb ram would let your computer run a faster. but I cant tell you how fast is it gonna be as it is very depending on how you use and what you use with

Yes I am well aware that the 4gb of ram will allow the system to go faster. The question is more of is taking a hit on speed for not using Duel in Line Memory Technology worth the savings?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts

my main bottleneck now is the HDD only a 5400 RPM drive.

Click on me

Cheers
Peterm

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Don't want to get a SSD yet. Don't think the prices are low enough yet. I did further research apparently my first guess was right I have a 7200 RPM HDD WD5000 AAKS.

As I go off to do some more research on duel memory technology.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Do not be surprised if the extra memory does not speed up your computer to a noticeably difference.
Ram increase will allow better running of more applications, It does improve speed to a point and then noticeable difference.
You have 4gig now I would be very suprised if you could notice things running faster by adding more ram.

Cheers
Peterm

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Agreed I don't think that I am going too upgrade my memory. The difference between Duel Channel Memory and Single Channel are not that great, and at the moment 4GB is more then enough.