Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OTL.exe: manually ended scan - possible damage?

• Please log in to reply

robertgo

robertgo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I have used OTL.exe the first time yesterday on an Asus netbook with Windows 7 starter 'only' 1 GB RAM. I had my Anti-Virus software block the program first but I was able to handle that.

Unfortunately, I was not patient enough and Windows first showed that the program did not respond. So, I killed the process from the taks manager 3 or 4 times. What I did not know was that OTL already scanned the system during these times. So what I (unintentionally) did was to kill the process/program while scanning

Then, I decided to be patient and after 15 to 20 minutes, the scan was completed. Everyhting is fine.

My question or rather concern now is: did I damage anything on my system (system files, harddisk, etc.) by killing the process/program while it was scanning?

I would very much appreciate any piece of advice!

Thank you!

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

My question or rather concern now is: did I damage anything on my system (system files, harddisk, etc.) by killing the process/program while it was scanning?

Unlikely as in scanning mode even with say a custom scan applied, all that is done is a scan of a system alone and the appropriate logs created for review...unless off course a specific custom fix is applied for OTL in turn too process.

Anyway if I am understanding correctly what you posted, by stopping OTL.exe via Task Manager would not have caused any damage to your Operating System and or Hardware. There may have been a system log created in the Event Logs denoting such a action but that is not a cause for concern.

For interest sake here is a tutorial for the aforementioned application:-

OTL Tutorial - How to use OldTimer ListIt