Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media player not seeing updated files on NAS drive

• Please log in to reply

cosine25

cosine25

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I bought a Buffalo Linkstation LS-XLBB2 to use wirelessly with a Sony SMP-N200 media player. I loaded all my video files onto the share, all worked fine, until I added and deleted a few files. The Linkstation is set to refresh the database every 20 minutes, but most files and folders that I add to the share never show up when browsing on the media player. Also, files that I've deleted are still listed; it's like the media player just isn't getting the updated info.

One day, all of the new files and folders suddenly appeared and I thought the problem was fixed. However, the next time I used the media player, all of the new additions had disappeared again and it was back to the old database. When I manually refresh the Linkstation database using the web interface, all of the files and folders immediately disappear except for one specific folder containing a TV show. When I turn everything off and back on it goes back to the original database yet again. Sometimes a file that I've added will eventually show up, maybe 1 day or 5 days later. Sometimes they never show up at all and sometimes they disappear again after a day or so.

Buffalo tech support have tried telling me that this is a codec issue and that there's nohing they can do about it. I find this highly unlikely since a) the files play fine from a USB drive, b) a lot of the files that are appearing and disappearing use the same codec as the TV show which always seems to stay on there no matter what and c) some of the files do eventually appear.

It seems like the problem is being caused by the database on the NAS not refreshing properly, but is there a way to fix this or does it sound like a faulty NAS? So far I've tried: changing the refresh time of the NAS, restoring the NAS and the media player to default, updating the firmware on both devices, manually refreshing the NAS database, ticking the 'initialise' box, connecting the NAS and the media player via ethernet. I'm really at a loss, any ideas?

Advertisements

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Cosine25,
If you browse to the ip addres or name of the device from a computer are the results the same?
This would be going to the addres bar of Internet explorer and entering \\buffalonasip