Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Adding new WD HDD using SATA Power Connector

• Please log in to reply

muhammad jamil

muhammad jamil

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I'm looking to add three drives to my system. However, I only have two SATA power connectors.

1. SATA-II 320 GB (OS installed)
2. SATA-II 1TB
3. SATA-II 1TB

I have enough spare molex connectors. when I connects my third drive using SATA power connector (4 pin) system start hanging/freezing and in worst case my third drive disappeared.

Processor: [Intel® Core™2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Motherboard: P5E-VM DO
RAM: 2GB (667MB)
Super Drive: disconnected
using built in VGA
TOWERS power Supply AT-400 watt

what should i do?
Is 3.3V necessary for SATA-II.

My question is why molex to sata connector 3.3v orange cable missing. Lets say if i cut SATA connector (including orange 3.3v cable) from other faulty PSU can i use it for third HDD.

Note: I have changed many sata power connector (molex to sata connector) but the result is the same

This guy says you can do it.
http://www.tomshardw...ex-sata-adapter

Edited by muhammad jamil, 19 May 2012 - 04:11 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hi muhammad jamil

Your PSU (power supply unit) may not be powerful enough.
Please provide some more information about your PSU, brand and model name or number.

muhammad jamil

muhammad jamil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
PSU Model: AT 400W

DC Output Max
+12v 18A
+5V 30A

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
I suggest that you try a known good PSU if you can, you could also try connecting the drive with one of the other HDDs SATA power and data cables to see if the issue is the same.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

muhammad jamil

muhammad jamil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
please see the attached screenshot
I does not happened every time (i mean hanging/freezing thing).

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.JPG

Edited by muhammad jamil, 19 May 2012 - 09:54 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Thanks for the screenshot :thumbsup:
The results are inconclusive in that there is no +5V PSU reading and if this is faulty it may explain your issues.
Please run HWMonitor and again post a screenshot of the readings http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

muhammad jamil

muhammad jamil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Added

Attached Thumbnails

• CPUID.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Your +5V is showing as being too low and this will affect the performance of your HDDs and USB ports etc.
Trying the HDD that you are having issues with on one of the other SATA and power feeds and swapping in a known good PSU are still my suggestions, a 500W PSU would be best and using a quality brand such as Antec, Corsair or Seasonic is recommended.

PSU tolerances table;