Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Windows 7, no CD, want to restore to factory default

• Please log in to reply

FactoryDefaultMe

FactoryDefaultMe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an Acer Laptop that I purchased less than 1 year ago, running Windows 7. I'm not proficient enough to know all the specs of my computer but I can follow a guide if you decide it necessary.

So here's the problem. In the past I was an idiot and was browsing "pictures" that I no longer look at anymore, but none the less, my computer got infected. Sure enough I tried to use the software I had at the time, SpyBot Search and Destroy. After it ran, the virus still seemed to have a hold. I went into safe mode and opened the guest user, and used that. Later I opened 3 more profiles, all of which became infected shortly after use. So far the guest profile is the only one "immune" to the infection. My computer runs much slower than it should. Moving a file the size of 250mb can take up to 60 seconds and upwards depending on circumstance. I've run numerous virus removers including but not limited to CCleaner, Malware Bytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, and others, even Norton (*puke*).
At this point, I just want to put my computer back to factory default settings. Problem? I have no CD, didn't copy the partition and the partition is now infected. So the in-computer solution is corrupted and won't work. I can buy the CD, but I really don't want to unless it's absolutely necessary.
Anyone who can help I will be willing to provide with as much information as I can, and follow as told without pressing buttons all the time when asked repeatedly not to. *smiles*

Hope someone can help soon. Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
:welcome: FactoryDefaultMe

Before going any further it is vital that you ensure that the system is free of any infections;

I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;

1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.
2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.
3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days then post in the Waiting Room http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/ be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry for jumping in here phil

I have an Acer Laptop that I purchased less than 1 year ago,

they come with a 1 year warranty...exactly how close are you to going over a year

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
No worries happy :thumbsup:

FactoryDefaultMe

FactoryDefaultMe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm fairly certain that I bought it in June last year.

I'm intrigued to where this is going. O_o

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

I'm fairly certain that I bought it in June last year.
Meaning that if purchased new the notebook should still be covered by a standard 12 month warranty.
I'm intrigued to where this is going. O_o
I suggested checking for malware and seeking the assistance of the malware experts if needed due to the information that you provided in your OP, some infections are so deep rooted that not even a full format of the HDD will clear it.
Colleague happyrock raised the warranty/age of the notebook element in case the problem is a hardware issue which would mean that the notebook could be returned and repaired at no cost to yourself.
Also note that if you are unfortunate enough to install a bad Windows update it will not void your warranty but replacing the hard drive yourself to try and resolve the issue would void your warranty

I hope this clears things up for you.