Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

When trying to start IE I get the download page instead of the homepag

• Please log in to reply

onetwothree

onetwothree

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been having issues with starting IE9 for weeks I have a 64 bit Toshiba laptop with WIN 7 on it I am able to start the 64bit version of IE without trouble but when I go to start the primary version of IE it shows the IE launch page flashes up, then the view downloads for IE page shows up and asks if I want to save this file comes up and no matter what I choose here it just shuts down from there. I do have the option to save the file then you can open the file folder where it downloads to but this is useless. If anyone has any ideas on how to repair this please advise.

Thanks for your help,
user onetwothree
attached is a pic of the file download screen in case you are unsure what I mean by this.yahoo.PNG

Advertisements

onetwothree

onetwothree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did contact a microsoft tech support company but did not want to allow them to remote into my computer but one of the "techs" that I spoke with asked about my application layer management service and application layer gateway service? To see if they were running, I did not see the application layer management service at all and the other service application layer gateway service was not running, and that is when he asked to remote into my computer but I declined as I am not big on anyone logging into my computer that I am not able to verify.
If you have any info on this please advised what these services do and why they need to be running
Thanks again

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

Try the below please and let myself know the outcome, thank you.

Reset IE9:

• Please download this Microsoft FixIt and save it to the desktop.
  • Double click on MicrosoftFixit50195.exe select I Agree and click on Next.
  • Follow the on-screen prompts.
  • You may delete MicrosoftFixit50195.exe when finished and or keep it if any problems in the future with IE9.
  • Next time IE8 is launched you will be prompted to reapply settings again, this is normal.
Note: Any add-ons will require to be reapplied after the above reset.