Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multiple problems from computer

• Please log in to reply

Lonesoldier21

Lonesoldier21

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Recently my computer has been having serious problems. It started when my computer shut down on its own. It was as if I unplugged it and plugged it back in a few seconds later. Cause a few seconds later it would do a reboot and would get to the point of "do you want to boot in safe mode?". I would choose safe mode and it would start that and then crash again. After that it would bring me to a system restore and it may or may not boot to the login. And this process has repeated several times. After a few times of doing that the computer seemed to stabilize on. Only crashing every couple hours instead of every 5-10 minutes or so. Thats when the second problem showed itself. Any online connection to the computer no longer works. It's wired via an Ethernet cable and I already tried replacing that. No change. It's not the router as I'm posting this via wifi from the router. The only explanation I could come up with for these problems is something hardware related. I managed to run a virus-scan at one point. And it managed to finish before the computer did its restart again. So a virus isn't the problem. It may be a hardware problem but I wanted to be sure before I spend money to get it fixed.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,860 posts
:welcome: Lonesoldier21
Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Possible causes may include a bad power supply, heat, bad hard drive or corrupt data on the drive, let us know the requested details so we can make the appropriate suggestions.

Lonesoldier21

Lonesoldier21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's a desktop computer. It's not custom built.
Manufacturer: Gateway
Model DX4822
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor (2.5 GHz)
8Gb RAM
64 bit operating system.
Heat isn't the problem as I've checked already. It's running at the mid to low 50's Celsius.
The first problem with power appears to be in chech for. I left it overnight and hasn't resurfaced yet. Still not Internet connect though.
Any other information please let me know.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,860 posts
Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:

Couple of tests for you to run so that your temps and voltages can be checked, can you watch a video or play a game before doing the tests and then post a screenshot of each, there is a chance that the stock 300W PSU is the culprit.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Lonesoldier21

Lonesoldier21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Should've posted earlier. I'm running Windows 7. Also due to my lack of internet connection I cannot download Speedfan. The best I can do is give you what my desktop gadget tells me. Fan rpm. Gpu temp. Gpu usage. CPU usage.
New development. When I attempted to play my game (Saints Row The Third). After about 5 mins attempting to make a character. Computer shut down again. Booted computer back up to the desktop. Crashed again. Give me half an hour and I'll be able to get you the information I listed above.

Lonesoldier21

Lonesoldier21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok do this time I loaded up my overly modded minecraft.
Gpu temp went over 60 but stayed in the mid to low 60's.
CPU usage did what I would expect. It skyrocketed but never went over 55% in total. Fan on the Gould never turned on. Core temp is evidently unavailable. Apparently it "is not running". Gpu usage sits around 40%. Anything else I couldn't tell you.

Lonesoldier21

Lonesoldier21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks to autocorrect gpu turned into Gould. And so turned into do.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,860 posts
Speedfan and HWMonitor will both work with W7 the Vista screenshot is only an example of the information that we require.
If you are checking the BIOS get the voltage readings as well as the temps please.
At present swapping in a known good PSU is your best option, if you can`t do that then getting your PSU tested is the next option.

Have you checked the inside of the case for heat trapping dust, loose connections and to check that your cooling fans are working ok.

Lonesoldier21

Lonesoldier21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Fans seemed to run ok. And I did clean up a bunch of dust which appeared to slow the crashing proccess but not completely eradicate it. I also checked loose connections. Sorry but without Internet access I can't download speedfan. And another tip. I'm completely computer illiterate when it comes to opening up the side panel. I see wires and that circuit there I'm pretty sure is the motherboard is the extent of it. What is the BIOS and what is the PSU?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,860 posts
It would help if you had access to wi-fi and a wireless dongle so that you could download the testing software.
As you are not experienced with working inside a computer it would be safer if you had someone else check it out.
BIOS is what controls your computer settings and PSU is your power supply unit.

A tutorial showing how to swap a PSU http://www.hardwares...com/article/362

Edited by phillpower2, 20 May 2012 - 01:42 PM.
Link added

Advertisements

Lonesoldier21

Lonesoldier21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok that clears up a little bit. At this point I can either call the computer repair place to bring it in. Or call a friend that knows what he's doing. Thanks for the help and tips. After this I'm gonna try and learn more about computers just to fix problems like these. Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,860 posts
It depends how capable your friend is with computers and I can`t help you with that.
Unless your motherboard has been damaged in some way I cannot suggest why your Ethernet is not working.
Does your friend have Wi-Fi access?

Do you have a wireless dongle with what you are using now?

Some BIOS info http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom

Lonesoldier21

Lonesoldier21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm using an iPod touch to post here. Soooo... No. My friend has his own wifi network. But at this point I'm just gonna bring it in to get it fixed. Although the problem could also be the router. But I don't know how wifi would work but a wired Ethernet cable wouldn't.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,860 posts
Wi-Fi uses a USB port on your computer to connect to a wireless router using a dongle http://www.amazon.co...Wireless dongle and a tutorial for you http://www.homeandle.../bc/bcs6p2.html

Lonesoldier21

Lonesoldier21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ahhh... I don't have one of those. Like I said I'm gonna bring this in to fix it. Get some parts replaced. Get some upgrades. Thanks for all the help though. This'll help me fix my own crap in the future