Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SATA drive/usb problem

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Greetings,

I am running Win XP pro. I have a WD WD800JD formated in Win XP that I am trying to recover data from via a sata/usb adapter, a Rosewill RCW-608. The mobo died in one computer and I want to recover the data. The drive shows up in "device manager" under "disk drives" only. I can not access the drive to recover data.

Is there a way to access this data via the usb adapter or do I need to mount the drive in my working computer?

Thank you.

Joe

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Have you tried going to Computer and right clicking on the device to open it.
Some free recovery software should you need it http://download.cnet...4-10753287.html

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
phillpower2,

It is not showing up in "My Computer", only in "device manager". When I right click on it, I get properties and drivers. The drive also shows up in "Computer Management", however, the only option is to reformat the drive.

Like I said, I may have to install it in my working computer to access it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Yes you may now be better to install the HDD into your present system, once done enter the BIOS on first boot and see if the drive is detected - listed.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
You are welcome, let us know how you get on or if you have any questions.