Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer constantly sounds like it's loading something

• Please log in to reply

samboo1

samboo1

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
It started about two weeks ago, and it's really slowing down my computer all of a sudden. Constantly churning as if it's loading, and the loading light on my laptop is always flashing so it is obviously doing something.

Done virus checks, I have none.

Task manager tells me I have 97 processes active at the moment, which I am led to believe is a lot. I've had a look through the list and I'm not too sure which ones I can close though. I have 35% CPU usage on average.

Anyone got any tips how I can get rid of this noise and lag? The only thing I'm ever really doing is browsing and word processing, but my laptop makes it sound like I've got every single program open and it can't cope!

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I had trouble being able to delete any that said file not found, as it said I need to run as administrator (even though I am administrator), so I'm attaching one without those files being deleted. I hope this is ok.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK good job but I see lots of entries we can get rid of. Way to much auto starting for sure. I did notice you have AVG, Windows Defender and Vprot all installed and running. Running two or three AV's is a problem as they will slow everything down and can cause false positive reports. I would suggest if you are not attached to either to uninstall them both and get something like Avast which is a smaller footprint but works very well. Free for the home user and you only need to register it once a year to get all the updates everyday. Mine updates twice a day just like clock work. Now on to the next step in helping you.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "rdpclip"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "Corel File Shell Monitor"
+ "IgfxTray"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

OK good job but I see lots of entries we can get rid of. Way to much auto starting for sure. I did notice you have AVG, Windows Defender and Vprot all installed and running. Running two or three AV's is a problem as they will slow everything down and can cause false positive reports. I would suggest if you are not attached to either to uninstall them both and get something like Avast which is a smaller footprint but works very well. Free for the home user and you only need to register it once a year to get all the updates everyday. Mine updates twice a day just like clock work. Now on to the next step in helping you.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "rdpclip"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "Corel File Shell Monitor"
+ "IgfxTray"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop

• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I followed your advice and uninstalled AVG, deactivated WDefender (never heard of Vprot that you mentioned, nor can I find it on my programs list?)and installed Avast. I also did everything else you said on your post. One thing I've definitely notice is start up being faster. Normally when I log in I have to give it a good 5 mins until Firefox will actually open, but now it seems to be opening quite fast. It is still making the annoying churning/loading noise all the time though. Could this be due to age at all? It's quite an old laptop now...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets check the disk integrity now to see if the file system is good.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Lets check the disk integrity now to see if the file system is good.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

Ok I've done that, it didn't find anything though!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No need to quote what you are answering to as we figure it is to our last response. Try this and let me know what it shows.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
So I downloaded and installed the diagnostic tool, and when I try and open the program it just says file not found: scsioat.dll

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You shouldn't be installing anything. Did you download the cd ISO version of the program? It is important that you make a bootable disk so the drive is tested outside of the windows itself.

Advertisements

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Oh yeah I see what I did now, I didn't notice the different headings so installed the one for Hitachi. Anyway, I don't know which one to download, as I don't know the brand of my HD?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then get the SeaTools Dos cd ISO.
It is the most compatible one. Follow the instructions on how to make the bootable disk using the imgburn program.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Sorry to be a pain again, but the link for that specific one isn't working anymore. I googled it to see if a new one can up but I can't seem to find it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this link HERE

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Ok thanks for that. Sorry about my confusion!

I ran the test and it just said 'passed', so I take it that's ok.