Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mystery system error, great minds assemble

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep set the drive for IDE for now. We need to test the Hard drive to make sure if it needs to be replaced.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Advertisements

MrTeachwell

MrTeachwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ran an extended test (3hrs) on my 1gb WD caviar green and it passed with no errors. This morning though I experienced about half a dozen reboots where it would reach the first bios post before rebooting (in the past it would reboot before the monitor had a chance to come on).

For the time being I'm almost settled on replacing the motherboard. My main consideration here is that one time when I saw sparks on the motherboard when attempting to test the psu, if it was a PSU issue I would expect to see more errors relating to my overclocking, but I've been able to overclock a bunch and that has never triggered the reboots. Whether or not the sparks caused serious damage it leads me to believe that the motherboard either has faults or will develop some in the not so distant future (I've never heard of a motherboard starting up and running fine after sparks and smoke, so this one sure is a surprise).

Are there any further tests you might suggest doing? I have really appreciated your help this week, thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You might check to see if any of the capacitors are bulging or blown.

MrTeachwell

MrTeachwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
They all look pretty good to me when compared to an old PSU from a previous system which has some rather fat looking capacitors. Guess it's time to start replacing parts and hoping for the best.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check the ones on the motherboard. Sorry I should have been more specific. I am wondering if maybe you have a blown or bulging one on the motherboard.

MrTeachwell

MrTeachwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Funnily enough the pc crashed while I was replying. My reply said that I had checked the ones on the motherboard (just that I was comparing the mobo capicitors with bulging psu ones from an old psu). Anyhow, I've replaced the motherboard with a gigabyte z77-d3h and (knock on wood) it's running fine, but only time will confirm whether there's another issue at play.

Thank you for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I will wait for your results.

MrTeachwell

MrTeachwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Just had my first reboot, i was watching different clips on YouTube when it happened (it has happened before when watching videos) after power off it attempted to load and got as far as windows loading screen beofre powering off completely. Im currently running 4 instances of memtest86 and will later use occt to stress the cpu/video. Im hoping to stress the psu un this way to try and replicate the reboot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm still thinking the PSU is the root of the issue. Though it is a 620 watt I think it must be having some power fluctuations.

MrTeachwell

MrTeachwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah, I'll be testing that tomorrow afternoon when I get a chance to pick up a replacement psu. I'm considering a Corsair HX-650, or sticking with antec and getting an Antec TruePower TP-750Watt (same cost).

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to NewEgg the Corsair got almost twice as many reviews then the Antec and has a better rating overall.

MrTeachwell

MrTeachwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
thanks, I was considering the antec because of the higher watts and it's apparently an ok psu. But I have definitely heard much more praise for the corsair.

MrTeachwell

MrTeachwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi again. Just finished installing the new psu, ended up with an Antec Truepower 750 because the store couldn't find their stock of the Corsair HX650's but I read a little more about the Truepower and like the features it boasts (which it hopefully lives up to). So I'll be running this and waiting to see if anything happens.

One thing that I've also been wondering about is the fact that the intel i5 2500k lists the max supported memory as ddr3 1333, however previously I was running my ram at 1600 (for atleast 6months before the reboots began). I'm now wondering whether that could have been the cause or a contributor to this problem I've been having. Only time will tell, hopefully this psu does the trick. I've also picked up a UPS which I will soon be setting up to provide better surge protection.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The maximum supported speed is what the ideal settings are for. By OC'ing you are forcing the memory to run faster and hotter then it would normally. This will usually result in a shorter life span for the memory and or CPU depending on what you are OC'ing.
I have never been a fan of OC'ing just for this reason. Sometimes it does work with no issue but there is always a chance of failure and even more of a chance of the component failing sooner then normal.

MrTeachwell

MrTeachwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Just updating in case anyone with similar issues was looking on, it was the power supply not sure why or what about the power supply but replacing it has completely fixed those restarts. Thanks again for all the help.