Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Repeaters and Security Question

• Please log in to reply

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey guys, i know this is a really lame question and i should know the answer but i cannot seem to work out if i am right or wrong, plus since this is about security i do not want to take a risk.

Basically i have a wireless AP, it has WPA2 AES encryption, now i want to access the internet on my laptop in the warmth of my conservatory, unfortunately my AP does not give me sufficient wireless coverage to give me a stable connection in the conservatory, now because of this i have set up a wireless repeater in my lounge so that my signal is of course stronger, my question is when i configured the Repeater it said did i want to set up a WEP or WPA/2 password on the repeater, now im thinking to myself it is simply relaying the information from my AP which is already encrypted with a password, so my question is, do i need to password protect my repeater?

I ask this because in my head i am thinking that it is not needed as outsiders cannot access my network or internet connection because the source that my repeater is repeating so to speak is already password protected, am i right in thinking this?

The reason i am unsure is because i know having my laptop connected to the Repeater means my information going back and forth between the repeater and my laptop or device is not encrypted as the repeater does not have a password, or am i wrong in thinking so?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Mike,

What repeater are you using exactly?

I know that when I used to have wireless in my house I had 2 APs. Each AP I had programmed to have the same SSID and the same WPA/2 password. That way I had roaming wireless throughout the house. Perhaps this repeater acts as a wireless receiver that in its turn sets up its own wireless network, with a new set of "rules"? Haven't really worked with wireless repeaters before, so I am just making some educated guesses here.

If you tell me what repeater you are using I might be able to find out more though.

Regards,
Olrik

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm using the "TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150Mbps Wireless Lite N Access Point" it can be used as an AP, wireless router, repeater, universal repeater etc, it is on amazon £19.99 with a list of specs, i do feel silly for asking the question as I've studied iT for four years and have many qualifications BUT wasn't to sure on this issue as ive never done networking well I have but not as In depth as I want but that's another story

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello!

Don't feel silly ;) Especially in IT you learn something new each day. You should know that :ph34r:

I'll try to find something on this, just give me a while ;)

Regards,
Olrik

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks :) at the moment I've put WPA on just to be safe than sorry

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Did you secure it with the same password as your normal wireless network?

Regards,
Olrik