Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming rig help

• Please log in to reply

Lokhe

Lokhe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi again guys.

So the motherboard goes in first but the PSU also goes in first :P which one is it!? ^^

A bare bone test eh? I have only a vague idea of the concept but I thought the motherboard was included in that test. How exactly is it carried out? Is it only to test the PSU?

Hehe no I won't be putting any cups of tea or coffee anywhere near my precious baby :P I've never destroyed anything by spilling on it, but I won't start now : p

Also in regards to the anti-static wrapping. I heard that you should absolutely NOT put your components on the wrapping because the outside is conductive, and that rather you should put the parts on the boxes D:

-Lokhe

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I NEVER said the motherboard goes in first.

You will always find that people have a different way of building their computers.

From the second guide Link I sent you

The power supply is usually easiest to install prior to motherboard installation. It's typically held in place with four coarsely-threaded screws.

and as I said, if it slips as you go to put it in after the motherboard, it may well be expensive.

However as I said people have their own way of building systems

and in relation to the spilling of the coffee or whatever - as you have said

Hehe no I won't be putting any cups of tea or coffee anywhere near my precious baby :P I've never destroyed anything by spilling on it, but I won't start now : p

that is one less concern for you.

In respect of the placing of the component on its anti-static wrapping. It is many years since I have seen a computer component in a anti-static bag that was metallised on the outside.

This is from just one of the systems I have recently built and is from an ECS motherboard
[attachment=57979:img016.jpg]

Here is another example

Take the new RAM modules out of their static-free envelope and place them on top of the envelope[/u]. Always hold a RAM module by pinching the edges of the module; avoid touching the chips or circuitry on the face]

HOWEVER just in case you are purchasing a component that is supplied in an anti-static wrapper that is metallised reflective on the outisde, then just to be certain place it on cardboard, or in the case of the motherboard, the foam that it was resting on inside the bag.
NOT on the carpet.

In relation to breadboarding or barebones - post 35 onwards on the link I sent from this site`s how to build your own computer.

My advice - as it is your first build - READ the links. - that is, although you may not think so now - the BEST advice.
If you do all should go well, but you will not be the first, and certainly not the last to make an expensive error.

Also ASRocks motherboard manuals are quite good so I suggest you read that two or three times, checking out each important part, especially the connection of the
various headers and one of the first jobs the stand-offs and I/O plate

Lokhe

Lokhe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hehe no I guess you didn't. I just remembered it wrong as I was typing the answer. I must've been mistaking it for the "putting the CPU and RAM on first" :)

Well, metal is not the only conductive material :) you're not made of metal are you? ;) Very few materials are completely non-conductive, to the point where not even a static charge can be accumulated. I don't know how, and what of, an anti-static wrapping is made of but I'm guessing it's sort of like a peptide, or a regular magnet for that matter. One side repelling and one side attracting but in this case conductive/non-conductive. After all, any kind of friction builds up a static charge and it has to go somewhere, kind of like a lightning rod :)

Anyway I'm not trying to be a smartass here. If you say it's ok to put it on the wrapper then I trust you. After all, I think you have more experience with anti-static wrapper than I do, which is to say, none :)

Cheers!
Lokhe

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
No problem and good luck with it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

phillpower2, a very good colleague of mine did all the hard work checking out all the components - that is the hard job.

Lokhe

Lokhe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks :D I'll follow up on it when it's finished so you know your help and advice was put to good use. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

-Lokhe

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Please post a full list of your selected parts so the build can be given a final look over.

Check that the connections on the monitor you will be using are compatible with the selected GPU.

Lokhe

Lokhe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
- ASUS P8Z77 V LK Motherboard

- Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3450 3.1GHz(3.5GHz Turbo) Processor

- ASUS GeForce GTX570 1GB GPU (Monitor compatible)

- Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) Low Profile RAM

- Intel 520 Series 120GB 2.5" SATAIII SSD

- Seagate Momentus XT 7200RPM 500GB 2.5" SATAIII HDD

- Corsair TX650M 650W PSU

- Samsung DVD drive.

- Fractal Arc Midtower case, comes with front, top, back fans and removable dust filter included.

-Lokhe

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry for the delay in replying folks :blush:

There is more than one type of Corsair Vengeance Ram, please provide a link to your proposed Ram or the specific code of the Ram ( XMP ) etc, Ram that is compatible with your MB http://www.dabs.com/...tm_content=TB00 and http://www.ebuyer.co...ml4gx3m1x1600c7

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
A couple of items I suggest you add to your list.

An anti static wrist strap, ie. > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899261005
An internal mini system speaker, this will give beep codes if there is a problem with the POST, ie. > http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

Lokhe

Lokhe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hey

I have a wrist wrap and mini speaker.

The Ram should be fine, if by any chance it's not then it's easily replaced :)

-Lokhe

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok good luck with it and let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Post in error.

Edited by iammykyl, 27 May 2012 - 08:14 AM.

Lokhe

Lokhe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello again fellas!

So last night was the big day, my friend was coming over to help me out and all but he got sick :/ I decided to try it out anyway I mean, how hard could it be? I managed to get the rig running with just a few minor hiccups. At first when everything was assembled I pressed the power button and!!!!!..... nothing..... I had lost the CPU power cord somewhere inside the spaghetti and it wasn't connected ^^ After going through the inards once more my girlfriend found the sneaky bugger and the system started! Windows was installed and then I started looking for my graphics card in the Device Manager. It wasn't showing so I figured I hadn't connected all the power cords there as well so I did a quick check on YouTube and learned that I was supposed to fill all the holes with power basically. Said and done the drivers installed beautifully and the rig runs fine :) Tried playing some games and it's silky smooth!

Thanks a lot for the help and support guys! It's wonderful to have the internet and a few friendly ppl like yourselves to help out when you're treading new waters.

Cheers!

-Lokhe

Edited by Lokhe, 14 June 2012 - 03:25 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Congratulations, Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Please take a little time to tidy up that spaghetti. you need to have good airflow in the case.

Lokhe

Lokhe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks :) Yeah I've tied all the cables up now so the airflow is good :) I have a new little problem though. I just installed the 500GB HDD and I can see it in the BIOS and it also shows up as "working properly" in Device Manager but if I open up Computer I can't see it there and I can't use it. What am I doing wrong? :)

-Lokhe