Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeteing windows security update

• Please log in to reply

ldstoodley

ldstoodley

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Good afternoon:
I own a compaq running windows xp media Center Edition version 2002 service pack 3
Today I recieved a notice from windows update that updates were avaiable for net frame work 2.0 service pack so I installed them restarted my system and went to microsoft update to see if anything else was avaible the same stuff i just installed was still there so I X'd out but the icon for updates was back in my tray I looked into it and it's the same updates again. Something in the program is corrupted I tried to fix it by going to add remove programs and clicking the change button on net framework sp2 but there was a fatal error and would not install over the old one. Next I tried to uninstall and hoped to reinstall but recieved the message i can't uninstall as there are programs that need this. I know there are ways to uninstall and reinstall to correct this but for the life of me I could not find the info i need. As of now every time i shut my computer off the same 3 updates reinstall and when I turn my computer on the same three down load again. Can you help me?
Thank you for your time
Larry
P.S. I did run CC Cleaner v3.18.1707 Registery Cleaner but that didn't help either.
I also ran Norton internet security 2010 , Spybot search and destroy and malware bytes in case it was a virus or malware but only found a few cookies

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
A suggestion for you to try ldstoodley

Removing bad updates then reinstalling them

Go into Add/Remove Programs
Click the little box on the top that says Show All Updates
Scroll through and find the offending update/s and remove it/them.
Now try updating again and see if it corrects the faulty update.

ldstoodley

ldstoodley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you very much easy fix I clicked the like button but got an action failed perhaps something is wrong with this machine too . But I will wait and see if i have other problems first. Great help quick reply concise instructions Happy day for me Good day for you lol thanks again
Larry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup: (and the + like :D )