Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to play Diablo 3

• Please log in to reply

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I recently acquired a copy of Diablo 3. After playing it for a few minutes it was woefully obvious that the standard equipment that came with my PC was not up to the task. I did some research and discovered that the problem was my graphics card. So I purchased: XFX R6670 Core Edition being that it was within my budget and the 6670 was on Blizzard's List of cards that will work well with their game. I brought it home and discovered that my monitor, being VGA, would not connect to the DVI/HDMI slots on my card. So back I went to the store to get a DVI to VGA adapter. Now when I have the card installed and the monitor plugged into it I get no display. I turn the power on and I can hear it booting up and I let it go until a couple minutes after I know Windows has started and still my monitor is happily in dream land as it has never left sleep mode. Please can someone help me figure out how I can play Diablo 3 with the computer I have now while only spending a minimal amount as my bank account is now near empty?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hi anazopyreo

Couple of questions for you;
Did you uninstall the previous video drivers before fitting the card, powering up and installing the new cards drivers from a disk supplied with the card.
What is the output of your PSU.
Can you provide a link to the exact card that you have purchased.

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I don't know how to uninstall the drivers for the card that is in my machine now. I tried to install the drivers from the disk that came with my new card but it wouldn't install them without detecting the card but since I can't see anything when I have he new card in I can't install them with the card in. Here are a couple links to the card I purchased:

http://www.bestbuy.c...tegories&ks=960

http://www.bestbuy.c...77014&cp=1&lp=1

As you may have guessed I bought it at Best Buy and their rep is who told me to use the adapter that isn't helping. If by PSU you mean my power supply, I just upgraded it to a 400 watt unit.

Edited by anazopyreo, 22 May 2012 - 06:42 PM.

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Also, thank you for your time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hi again
Before I make any suggestions can you provide some information about your computer and what your previous video card was or if it is a video chip that is integrated into the MB (motherboard) this will tell us how to address the drivers.

We now know that you have a 400W PSU but can you tell us what the brand and model is please, the reason I ask this is because not all PSUs are of the same quality, are capable of putting out the claimed wattage or can provide the amount of amps that the add on video card requires.

Below are the power requirements for your new video card and you will note that the Minimum requirement is 400W but the recommended is 450W and this is assuming that you are using a trusted brand such as Antec, Corsair or their own brand XFX which are improving in quality.

Requirements
Minimum Power Supply Requirement:400 Watt
XFX Recommended Power Supply: XFX 450W PSU
Check the XFX site for the required specifications http://xfxforce.com/...on-HD-6670.aspx

I hope that the above does not come across as a lecture as it is only intended to emphasise the demands placed on a PSU and the importance of using a trusted brand, some further guidance @ http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php - http://forum.pcmech....ide-inside.html and http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
They seriously recommend 450? I bought the 400 because the box said 400 was recommended and I just double checked it to make sure I didn't misread it. Anyway, I bought the Dynex 400-Watt ATX Power Supply:
http://www.bestbuy.c...upply&cp=1&lp=1
The port I plug the monitor into goes directly to the motherboard so I believe it is a chip. ATI Radeon HD 4200 is what the device manager says. It is what came with the PC when I bought it.

Also, I am a bit apprehensive about getting rid of existing drivers before the new card is working. Wouldn't that leave me without a monitor?

Lastly, you are not coming across as lecturing, unless you mean in a way that a teacher lectures their student. I see it as you have the answers to the questions I wish I knew to ask.

Edited by anazopyreo, 23 May 2012 - 08:56 PM.

MrTeachwell

MrTeachwell

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi just throwing in my early experience with building PC's, firstly can you see the fans on the video card spinning up? Once I forgot(didn't notice) to plug in the power to my video card, check that to see if it's plugged in and the fans are spinning.

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I do see the fan spinning up. I was wondering if there is a way that I am supposed to connect power to it anyway, but I don't see anywhere to plug the power supply into it.

MrTeachwell

MrTeachwell

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ahh I see that this model of video card doesn't require a separate power connection. I wonder does your monitor come on at all when you start it up and can you see the bios?

If that was my pc first I'd double check my motherboard could handle the video card and that it was seated firmly, then I'd do another check of the power connections to the motherboard to make sure both the big fat one and the smaller 4 or 8 pin are both soundly connected. Next if still no video whatsoever I'd check to make sure the cable was firmly plugged in both to the video card and the back of the monitor (mine has come loose in the past causing loss of video).

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
These things were also what I checked first and with every attempt. As far as making sure the mother board can handle the video card... It fits in the slot, it looks like it was meant to go into that slot because it is a perfect match.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
You must uninstall the previous video drivers before installing your new card or the system will try and use them with the new card which will not work, see guide below;

Remove the new video card and revert back to using the MBs integrated video port.
Download new cards drivers to desk top. (Do not install yet)
Download Driver Sweeper http://phyxion.net/i...er-sweeper.html
Uninstall old drivers - Rt click desktop - Properties / settings / advanced / adapter / properties / driver.
Reboot
Cancel out of auto install programs that may pop up.
Run Driver Sweeper for your driver.
Reboot
Cancel out of auto install programs that may pop up.
Install new drivers.
Reboot.

Let us know how you get on.

NB: If available the system may use Windows own generic video drivers if no others are available.

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Before I continue with this, I want to tell you what has changed:
I had a friend help me with this while I was waiting for a response and it almost works. It turns out I needed to hook up a monitor using a DVI cable so I could make changes to the bios. I changed it to push the signal to the VGA port attached to the mother board. Now, I can hook up a monitor using the DVI port on the graphics card and disable the driver for the old graphics chip and it works beautifully. I can hook up my VGA monitor to the mother board port with that driver enabled and I get what I have always had. I have tried to disable the driver for the old graphics chip and hook the VGA to the graphics card through my DVI - VGA adapter, but I still get the problem where the monitor stays in sleep mode. I did find a statement on the box the card came in that says it does not support the adapter, so I guess I need a different graphics card that will support the adapter or a monitor that works with DVI? Unless you know any other tricks? Or will completely deleting the old driver instead of just disabling it fix this?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

I can hook up a monitor using the DVI port on the graphics card and disable the driver for the old graphics chip and it works beautifully.

Why do you not just keep it working this way - it is better video quality.
Unless the setting has been disabled in the BIOS when you fit and install a new video card it will automatically disable the onboard video chip the old drivers should be uninstalled to prevent system instability and crashes.

From previous reply #11

NB: If available the system may use Windows own generic video drivers if no others are available.

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I don't keep it this way because the DVI monitor is not mine. I have only very limited access to it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Please provide the brand and model of the screen that you are attempting to use.