Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

*** STOP:0x0000024 (x00190203, 0x82700550, 0xc000012, 0x00000000)

• Please log in to reply

SantaClaws23

SantaClaws23

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Today my computerwould not boot for some odd reason. I'm using windows xp.

When it rebooted it would flash a blue screen then restart, this would repeat over and over again. I cant start up in safe mode or normal windows.

When i press F8 and "Disable Automatic Restart On System Failure" i get the error:

ST0P 0X00000024 (x00190203, 0x82700550, 0xc000012, 0x00000000)
After, i tried recovery console and running chkdsk /r and /p. It would just say "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems". I tried running FIXBOOT, but it would say "FIXBOOT cannot find the system drive, or the drive specifie is not valid"

Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated and thank you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

I would suggest running a chkdsk /r and then running a hard drive diagnostics. Do this by doing the following in order and letting me know the results.

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

SantaClaws23

SantaClaws23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

I would suggest running a chkdsk /r and then running a hard drive diagnostics. Do this by doing the following in order and letting me know the results.

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried to run chkdsk /r and again it said "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

I looked at my hard drive and its a seagate barracuda 7200.10 I looked at the link you gave me and tried to open seatool but the link for that was broken, i then tried googling it but had no luck with that. If you have any other suggestions they would be appreciated and thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need the SeaTools Dos cd ISOwhich you can download directly from HERE.
Also no need to quote if you are answering directly to the last post.

SantaClaws23

SantaClaws23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The link opens to seagate.com and says 404 page not found

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Grrr ok go HERE and then click on the Downloads tab at the top. See the picture below for the right file to get.

[attachment=57981:Untitled.jpg]

SantaClaws23

SantaClaws23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks! Im running a long scan ill tell you what happens.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thanks! Im running a long scan ill tell you what happens.

:thumbsup:

SantaClaws23

SantaClaws23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I did a long and short scan and I passed. So then why can't I run chkdsk or fix boot ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to run it from within windows?
Go to My Comuter and right click on the main drive. Click on Properties and in the new little window click on Error Checking. Let me know if that works.

Advertisements

SantaClaws23

SantaClaws23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can't get past the windows loading screen with the 3 bars. From there I get the error and it restarts

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I think what we need to do is wipe the drive completely clean and start over from scratch.

SantaClaws23

SantaClaws23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't have a air comPressed can but any ideas how I do this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No I'm talking about getting rid of the partition on the hard drive and installing windows just like it was a brand new drive.

SantaClaws23

SantaClaws23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Oh all right well tell me how :D