Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build won't boot up (fans start then stop)

• Please log in to reply

richardcwc

richardcwc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I followed a rough guide on a forum for a new build. I purchased all the parts and assembled them together last night. My system is made up of below:

- Sapphire HD7850 2G.2G 256Bit GDDR5 PCIE3.0 DVI HDMI 2*Mi
- Samsung S23A750 23" Wide, 1920x1080, 2MS, 3D
- Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA
- Kingston 8GB(2 X 4GB) DDR3-1333MHZ PC10600
- Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache
- Intel Core i5 3550 LGA1155 CPU 3.3Ghz 6Mb Cache Ivy Bridge
- Asus P8H61-M-LE USB3.0 REV3.0 H61 2DDR3 GLAN PCIE16 STEP3 LGA1155 UEFI
- Antec 520W High Current Gamer Power Supply, 80+ Bronze
- Zalman HD501 case

I stayed up until 4am last night to finally get it to boot up and install Windows 7 Home Premium. It took me all night because it wouldn't boot up all night, but the fans (PSU, x1 chasis fan, graphics card fans and CPU fan) spun for like 1-2 seconds and then stopped and kept repeating this way until I unplugged the power cord. I eventually fixed it somehow (not sure why) by reinstalling the CPU, memory and graphics one step at a time from barebones. It is now running only on 1 stick of 4GB ram. I made sure the number of motherboard standoffs matched the number of holes in the motherboard (many times) before I installed everything else. I made sure the CPU fan and chasis fan were in its right slot, the 4-pin 12V power connector and EATX power cable was connected to motherboard and 8pin power connector was connected to graphic card. The SATA drive is connected by hot-swap, which can be quick-uninstalled from the front-panel of the case (not sure if connecting SATA this way can be a problem).

When it successfully booted to BIOS at around 2am, I installed Windows and drivers. Before I went to bed, I left the PC to install Star Craft 2, but when I woke up this morning, the monitor showed a blue screen with error: STOP: 0X000000F4.

I pressed the reset button and it won't boot into Windows, but instead a black screen that asks me to insert boot disk or something I can't remember and press any key. I pressed reset again to go into BIOS setup and I could see only the DVD drive was detected and I had no choice for boot options. I turned off the computer and turned it back on again and now it's doing the same thing last night – the system tries to power on, but powers off after 1-2 sec and repeats (fans and stuff sound like they spin and then stop).

This is my first build and I haven't really touched the insides of computers since Athlon CPUs came out. Can anyone please help me get my system working?

Thank you all so much.

Regards.

Advertisements

r55741

r55741

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hi
Im no expert but I can suggest a few Ideas

1. disconnect everything 1 by one until you only have the mobo and fans to see at which point the fans power up again normally. Hopefully that will point out wich part is causing issues.
2. The fans only firing up for a few seconds could indicate either a faulty mobo or PSU. I had the same thing happen to me once when the system and fans specifically struggled to power up only to shut down soon after. The problem was a faulty PSU.
3. Try using one ram stick for now. if that works swap it for the second one and try again. If that works put both on and see if that works.
4. Try a different power source! maybe your outlet is messin w ya
5. Check your ground.

Also remember to unplog the power suply on every reboot.

Good Luck! and have patience!