Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

games not like they were

• Please log in to reply

gotdamit

gotdamit

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So...... i recently moved. When i got up here my monitor would not get a signal from the tower. i reseated the ram, and it started working again. sense then however, games that used to recommend running on high setting are now telling me to run them on low. im not very tech savvy so any advide would help. is this a driver problem? i just updated my graphics driver. and the problem persists.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
:welcome: gotdamit

Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

gotdamit

gotdamit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is an ibuypower. I5 2400 3.10 ghz CPU. Geforce gtx 560ti GPU. 8gigs of ram. 700watt power supply. That's all I got for now.

MrTeachwell

MrTeachwell

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
With that PC you'd surely expect to be able to handle most if not all games towards their upper limits. Is it possible that the video card has come loose at all? Also have you noticed games running slower at all or are they simply doing an auto test and recommending lower settings? If they run fine at your usual settings then it's possible that it's just the way the game is detecting the optimum settings. My two cents.

gotdamit

gotdamit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There was some degradation to game performance, then games started crashing. It auto restarted a couple times. Now, there is no signal to the monitor again. I did som digging online and it is starting to sound like the power supply is junk.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Can you post the PSU brand and model details please.
Unfortunately system builders often use budget PSUs to keep their costs down, this only has repercussions for them if the PSU goes bang while the system is under warranty, as MrTeachwell has said a 700W PSU should no issues running your system but only in the case of it being a brand such as Antec, Corsair or Seasonic.
A price comparison is a clue to the quality http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817152036 as opposed to a quality http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139030