Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU Failure?

• Please log in to reply

l3th4l

l3th4l

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello guys. I'm back with yet another problem *sigh*. When ever I play some game that's a bit heavier on GPU than Team Fortress, CS 1.6, LoL etc. my screen goes black after 5~ minutes of gameplay, the monitor finds no signal, after 10 more seconds, the sound freezes as well. After that I'm just forced to restart my computer. Last time I ran a test, GPU was at around 90-95C degrees before shutting down (Did it with Diablo 3). PC specs:

ASUS Radeon HD 4850
AMD Athlon x2 6000
4GB DDR2
Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 motherboard
Windows 7 enterprise 64bit
Some random 500W PSU I bought not too long ago.

I'm pretty sure it's not my PSU, I used to have similar problems when I had my old psu as well, just less frequently. The games I play when the GPU crashes are Witcher 2, Diablo 3, assassin's creed 2, the GPU usually fails after 5~ minutes of gameplay. I have my PC case open as well, GPU used to overheat because with my case closed, it ran up to 105 C degrees etc, it seemed to fix a problem for a while before I started to play heavier games. Another thing worth mentioning is that my screen went black for few seconds and I got a message that GPU/GPU drivers failed while watching a live stream, it's not that heavy on GPU. Any ideas?

Edited by l3th4l, 23 May 2012 - 08:54 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi l3th4l

Two possibilities spring to mind bad PSU and overheating and the overheating can be caused by a bad PSU putting out too higher voltage, dust and poor case cooling.

Some random 500W PSU I bought not too long ago.

This makes it more of a possibility

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Do the same with HWMonitor so that we have a comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Posted Image
Keep in mind that this is under no load at all, turned on my pc few minutes ago. As I already mentioned, when playing heavy games, it goes up to 90-95C. Will take a pic with HWmonitor once I'm back.

Edited by l3th4l, 23 May 2012 - 10:44 PM.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Posted Image
Here are the HWmonitor readings. Shameless double post bump in case you forget to check if I edit my old post! O_O

Edited by l3th4l, 24 May 2012 - 05:29 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
PSU readings look good with both programs so time to consider an overheating GPU as the culprit, do some gaming and post another screenshot of either program so we can see the video card temps, have you checked that the fan on the video card is working ok and that it is free of heat trapping dust, check the inside of the case while you are there, I can provide guidance for this if you are unsure on anything.
Improving the systems overall performance may help alleviate the problem, see below;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Well, it's pretty weird, because those are the temps listed in some of the benchmarks of ASUS Hd 4850 card. It's pretty hard to take a screenshot because I'm not exactly sure when it'll reboot, but I will try to. The temps used to be 10-15C higher when I had my case closed, it used to shutdown at around 100-105C. I've opened my case few months ago and left it open, the temps fell down by 15-20C degrees, it worked fine for a while, but now.. Going to do the PCpitstop run right now.
Edit: Here's the link http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24927318 . The sudden 2d/text test scared the heck out of me.

Edited by l3th4l, 26 May 2012 - 07:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
There is a strong possibility that this is an overheating GPU but there are a couple of things at your Pitstop report that need your attention which I will come to in a moment but first can you tell me how many cooling fans the system has and do you have a desktop fan that you could direct so that it blows air into your open case.

Three other issues I noted, two that can cause this problem and one not likely 1: You have two lots of video drivers installed and this can cause stability issues so uninstall the Microsoft video drivers. 2: You have torrents in your list of software and this is dangerous as torrents are an area where cyber criminals lurk and by visiting such sites you are putting yourself at risk of malware attack and identity theft so I suggest you remove uTorrents immediately then check for malware to be sure that your system is not infected, please see below;

Read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;

1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.
2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.
3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days then post in the Waiting Room http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/ be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.

3: You have three lots of Mouse driver installed but if it is not causing you any issues leave it be in case the wrong ones are uninstalled which results in your mouse/keyboard not working.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I'm 99% sure torrents are not the issue. I only use a private tracker which is invite-only where there actually are very few uploaders, and to become one you need to gather a lot of trust by the admins. Hmmm, which ones are the microsoft video drivers? The only drivers I can found are these "Display Adapters ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series". Oh and, no, I don't have any fans aside the stock GPU, PSU and CPU fans.

Edited by l3th4l, 26 May 2012 - 08:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Ok for my part I have made you aware of the danger of torrent sites and will leave it at that :thumbsup:
Run Driver Sweeper to find the Microsoft video drivers and remove them http://phyxion.net/i...er-sweeper.html
Adding an additional fan or two will help with your case cooling - they are inexpensive and easy to fit, an example http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B000M63M20 one at the front of the case for air induction and one at the rear for expelling the warm/hot air would be best but an exhaust fan at the rear is the minimum you should add.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Yup, thought about additional fan when I had heat issues back then, but fixed it by opening the case. I guess there is no other way now, will get two fans next time I go to the city. :)
EDIT: Uhm, front of the case is which part exactly? Going to run driver sweeper in a sec.
EDIT2: Removed some Nvidia display drivers (No idea how they got into my computer) http://www.kilobaita...L_391&ID=359543 Would two of these fans be enough? Errr, nevermind, noticed that the connector isn't molex, it's 3 pin in my link. Everything seems to be 3pin, maybe I should just buy two 3pin fans and then buy one of these http://www.kilobaita...L_391&ID=271540 ?

Edited by l3th4l, 26 May 2012 - 09:47 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Not all cases can be fitted with a fan in the front so check first, what type of case is it?
The rear of the case should have a grill that has four screw holes around it in the same shape as the fan, measure the dimensions between the screws so that you get the correct size of fan, it may be 80mm.

Be careful what you uninstall, your MB has an Nvidia chipset so please check that you havn`t uninstalled those as I don`t see any Nvidia video drivers in your Pitstop report.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Had the selection to uninstall nvidia display/chipset/physx drivers, I only selected the display ones. Could never find out the manufacturer of my case because I bought the whole PC from a friend (It has two Gigabyte stickers in front, but I couldn't find a case like mine in the Gigabyte website) if that's what you asked for. The dimensions seem to be 70x70mm. I also checked the front of the case, there is a grill to connect another fan, but my HDD is just behind it, so I'll probably have to move my HDD to another spot. Oh and also, there is a another free fan connection slot on the motherboard, but if I want to use two fans I'll probably have to get one molex -> 3 pin coverter? I really can't find a fan with molex connector on Lithuanian sites like the one you linked on amazon. http://www.kilobaita...L_391&ID=316457 This fan would work fine I assume? ^^

EDIT: On the other hand, it's probably 80mm. AT first I measured from the bottom of the screw hole and used a giant ruler, so I was a bit off, now that I measure the actual grid with a 10cm ruler, it looks like 80x80mm. Sorry that I'm causing so much confusion, never actually had to use a case fan.

Edited by l3th4l, 26 May 2012 - 10:41 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
For the driver removal go into your Device Manager then Sound, video and game controllers and uninstall the Microsoft drivers.
Try adding just the rear exhaust fan and see if that helps on its own as this may avoid moving your HDD and purchasing the molex adapter.

The fan at your link is fine and thanks for letting me know it was 80mm X 80mm :thumbsup:

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
There is a small problem however. The free 3 pin slot is very far from the rear of my case, it's on the right side of ram, will the cable of the fan be long enough? The free slot is labeled pwr_fan, hope it's not intended to be used for something else. There doesn't seem to be any other fan slot closer to the rear of my case.

Edited by l3th4l, 26 May 2012 - 11:06 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Is the brand and model name or number printed on the MB anywhere, if so can you post the details so I can research the MB.
The pwr_fan is for the PSU so if your PSU is not using it then it is ok to use it the downside is that these do not tend to have an adjustable fan control and will work at 100% all of the time.
If the cable is not long enough you can get extension adapters, the cabling however should be long enough.