Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer starts on blue screen and reboots all the time

• Please log in to reply

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi Amlak,

I have just carried out your latest instructions...
After running the file restore.bat using Reatogo the pop-out window just quick shows a message "1 file copied". Then i tried to boot the computer back into WINDOWS, but i get our old blue screen again...

Regarding the mouse pad or external mouse it didn't work when the computer boot into WINDOWS, but it works fine with the Reatogo... Not a problem anyway... as you said we can fix it later.

Cheers

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Ok, just to be clear, you never changed the BIOS settings in any way after Windows booted in, correct?

I'll restore the hive files back to the original ones if they're the only ones working. But I want to make sure the file ran successfully first.

Go to D:\Windows\System32\Config and please give me the date last modified for each of the following:

SAM
Security
Software
System

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Amlak,

After the computer last booted into the WINDOWS i have not made any changes in the BIOS.

Default.......last modified 5/18/2012
SAM...........last modified 5/18/2012
Security......last modified 5/19/2012
Software......last modified 6/5/2012
System .......last modified 6/4/2012

(when i started experiencing problems with the computer was around 5/18/2012)

Cheers

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Ok, I'll restore the hives back to the original ones that were working. But will need approval from an expert first.

However, in the meantime, try to boot from the older Windows installation (C:) and let me know if that one boots in.

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Ok, so we wait the expert approval.. and move on :thumbsup:

I have tried to boot in to WINDOWS but i get the blue screen, then i tried the first WINDOWS option on safe mode and i get blue screen, the second WINDOWS option takes me to a safe mode... what didn't happen before. Obviously the safe mode gives me a very limited options.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Are you able to use the touchpad in Safe Mode?

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Ok, so we wait the expert approval.. and move on :thumbsup:

I have tried to boot in to WINDOWS but i get the blue screen, then i tried the first WINDOWS option on safe mode and i get blue screen, the second WINDOWS option takes me to a safe mode... what didn't happen before. Obviously the safe mode gives me a very limited options.

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Yes, the touchpad works fine on safe mode...

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Ok, in Safe Mode, right-click My Computer and select Properties.

Click on the Advanced tab.

Under the Startup and Recovery section, click the Settings button.

In the next dialog box that appears, click the Edit button.

The boot.ini text file should pop up. Now, very carefully, look at the line:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

I want you to edit that line only. Please put 1 instead of 2 so that the line becomes like the following:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

This should automatically boot you into the older Windows installation as normal mode.

Close the notepad file and click Yes to save. Then click Ok twice.

Then restart.

Let me know if you manage to get into normal mode.

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Good news !!!! ;)
I have made the change and now i can boot into WINDOWS without entering the safe mode.

The old icons and documents from the desktop have gone... i guess because i am using the older WINDOWS... All the icons are quite big, but i am sure we are able to fix it later...

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Yes! I love when that happens.

The missing icons are a non-issue. All one has to do is move them to the right Desktop folder.

But I want to know what you want now. Do you want us to work on C:, forget D:, and expand the size of C: to fill the whole drive?

Or do you want me to try getting D: to work with its latest setup?

For me, the first option is easier, but if the settings in D: are important to you, I am happy to give the second option a go. But it'll likely take more time to get it done.

Also, in the meantime, please don't use the Internet with that PC we're working on. I want you to get your system all secure and safe before you can even think of using it.

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Thank you...

Fantastic!!! Happy to see that screen back to normal...
I think the first option is good for us too (as it is also easier for you) and we can transfer everything we need from D: to C:

Interesting that i have just checked the free space in C: and somehow it has 75% free space... (before it was almost full)
When i check C: properties it shows:
Used space 5.27GB and Free space 14.7GB (Total capacity 20GB)

Ok, i will not connect to the internet, i also noticed that the wireless sign (led) is off, so even if i wanted to connect i am not able to, this is something to be fixed when we get the other stuff sorted.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Yes, I had you delete the biggest (and unnecessary) file (around 14-15 GB) on the C: drive using one of the .bat files.

Ok, right-click My Computer and select Properties.

Any Service Pack mentioned?

Also, right-click My Computer and select Manage. Then select Device Manager. What drivers are missing? In other words, any yellow exclamation marks you see?

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I see... that explains why we have space on C:

It does mention Service Pack 2

I can see many yellow marks, i have listed them below:

?Other devices
?---Ethernet Controller
?---Network Controller
?---PCI Device
?---SM Bus Controller
?---Unknown Device
?---Unknown Device
?---Video Controller
?---Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Okey, dokey, we'll work on the drivers then. Once approved, you'll see my next post.