Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not connect to internet after re-installing windows.

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hello,

I reinstalled windoews (XP) on my emachines laptop but now I am unable to connect to the internet. Bottom right corner says I have a strong signal but will not connect. I have disabled the firewall on the laptop but did not help.

Can you please tell me what could be the cause. It works with the Ethernet just not wireless but work before the re-install.

Thank you :)

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
It sounds like you have not provided the right wireless security key.
Are you sure you are using the right password for the wireless network?

Regards,
Olrik

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Definitely the right password/key, I double checked that. The signal reads strong at the bottom right corner after logging in, just will not connect to the internet.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Ok can you please download the program in the link below.This program will tell me if you have the correct drivers installed on your machine.
http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html This definitly sounds like a driver issue. :)

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Here it is, sorry for the delay and thanks for your help.

Attached Files

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hello you are indeed missing a driver you will need to go to the manufacturers website and get the drivers listed below.It may seem odd to you but I have seen not having the sm bus/chipset driver not allow a connection before.In the future you should always install the chipset driver first. :)

SM Bus Controller [UNKNOWN DEVICE]
Chip: ATI Technologies SB600 SMBus Controller
Detail
PnpID
VEN_1002&DEV_4385&SUBSYS_02131025&REV_14
Vendor

Device
SM Bus Controller
Chip Vendor
ATI Technologies
Chip
SB600 SMBus Controller
Also please make sure that wireless is enabled on your machine.
http://forums.speedg...s-Laptop-Models

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks Rockmilk ! Glad it is just a driver issue.

Sorry if it looks like I want to be spoon-fed but I have searched for a round an hour trying to find the correct driver and I can not find it. I have been searching "SB600 SMBus driver" is this correct ? I'm not 100% sure what I am looking for from the infomation in your above post. I search on ATI website and could not find a driver relating to SB600 SMBus.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
To be honest. I don't think it's a driver issue. If it were a driver issue you probably wouldn't even show you a signal.

Can you try turning off the WiFi security and connecting when the security is off? That way we rule out if it's a security issue or a wireless issue all together. :)

Regards,
Olrik

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and model number of your computer?

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Well, I disabled my security and it connected to a web site and streamed a video. As soon as I enabled the security, it was blocked again. The weird thing is that the bottom right corn icon had a a red cross and when I hover the mouse over it, it says not connected but it obviously is because it was steaming a video; might just be slow to update? Anyway, looks like it is a security issue.

The password I use to log in is 100% correct and I have not changed any settings for years so something has changed on the lap-top when it was formatted and windows re-installed.

What could it be ? I have complete access to my router page so I can change and inform anything needed.

Make and model is emachines E625.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I feel silly now but I checked and rechecked that I was entering the correct password and I am 100% I was. I just changed my password and and tried to connect, it asked for the new password, I entered it and now it works !!! But I did enter the correct password because I did not get a error message which is what I get when it is incorrect. Very weird but it works now.

Thanks for all your help ! It's fixed !

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

I feel silly now but I checked and rechecked that I was entering the correct password and I am 100% I was. I just changed my password and and tried to connect, it asked for the new password, I entered it and now it works !!! But I did enter the correct password because I did not get a error message which is what I get when it is incorrect. Very weird but it works now.

Thanks for all your help ! It's fixed !

Looks like my hunches are still quite accurate ;)
Glad to hear things got sorted out :happy:

Regards,
Olrik

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
You will still need to install that chipset driver. Try It with drivermax.Just uncheck the highlighted items in the shot below when installing.
http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/

drivermax warning.JPG